restarting citation formats each chapter

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

germandanny
Got the auto-title mojo working

restarting citation formats each chapter

Post by germandanny »

Does anyone know how to get a full citation at the beginning of each chapter? I'm using Bookends (this might be a BE question, not Mellel). But my style requires me to cite a full reference at the beginning of each chapter before resorting to shortened citations after that. I know with footnotes restarting, you do a style break, or something like that. Is there something along these lines to do this with a citation as well. Thanks.

Dan
nicka
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: restarting citation formats each chapter

Post by nicka »

What do you mean by 'full citation'? Could you give examples of how you want the full and reduced citations to look?
germandanny

Post by germandanny »

Sure. A full citation is: Bernard Brandon Scott et al., Reading New Testament Greek (Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 1993), 53. For each chapter, after I've given the full reference, I'm supposed to give the shortened reference: Scott et al., Reading New Testament Greek, 42. I'm also instructed to, at the beginning of each new chapter, start this process over. In other words, I have to cite full references again each chapter.

This is similar to the idea that footnotes can restart each chapter, they just don't keep going (at least I think it's like that). So I figure, like footnotes, there's a little box somewhere to tick to say "restart citations each chapter," or something. I think with footnotes you just do a section break and it starts them over. But it doesn't seem to start over my citations...

Hope that helps clear things up - thanks!

Dan
suavito

Post by suavito »

The Bookends tutorial, page 160:
Secondary Order: create different formats for the first and subsequent citations of a reference

It is possible to have a reference formatted differently depending on whether it is being cited for the first time or subsequent to an initial citation.
It is first or subsequent citation and to my knowledge this goes per document and not per chapter. It is the same with the bibliography which can not be added to the end of a chapter but only to the end of the document.
The finger is the most popular bird.
Feanaaro
Already downloaded the guide

Post by Feanaaro »

The only way to do this, as far as I know, is to split the document in chapters, then run the bibliography formatter for each chapter, and then copying-paste them together again. If you need a bibliography at the end of the whole work, before doing the splitting you should run the formatting on the whole document and then when you copy-paste back the single chapters leave the final bibliography alone.

It is a chore, but considering you should do it only when the final document is ready for presentation, is bearable – barely.
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

Feanaaro wrote: It is a chore, but considering you should do it only when the final document is ready for presentation, is bearable – barely.
I don't create documents with citations, but considering the complexity of your workaround, I wonder it it would't be easier to leave the document as a single file. Then, before submission, correct the citations of the final copy manually.

Janet
Feanaaro
Already downloaded the guide

Post by Feanaaro »

jannuss wrote:
Feanaaro wrote: It is a chore, but considering you should do it only when the final document is ready for presentation, is bearable – barely.
I don't create documents with citations, but considering the complexity of your workaround, I wonder it it would't be easier to leave the document as a single file. Then, before submission, correct the citations of the final copy manually.

Janet
For any document with more than 20 citations or so, and less than 20 chapters or so, my method is way quicker. Still a chore, but immensely easier than correcting citations by hand.
germandanny

Post by germandanny »

Well, thank you for your replies - it is as I feared, unfortunately. Left for me to do manually... This would be a nice thing for a wish-list, I guess.