Mr Mel drops like a stone w/trying to select & delete

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

este.el.paz
Knows everything, can prove it

Mr Mel drops like a stone w/trying to select & delete

Post by este.el.paz »

Folks:

Another topic, possibly relating to the "choppy deletion" topic or maybe a separate problem altogether; in the same process of working with getting a document with several hundred pages together, and the previously mentioned change of fonts using the floating toolbar, which also lost the line spacing, I was trying to highlight the second half of the text, independent of the first half, so I couldn't use command-A. I started by highlighting/selecting from where I wanted to change the line spacing and began scrolling down in the document, hoping to reach the bottom of the document, select it and then change the line spacing in the floating toolbar. As I got about 3/4's through the spinning beachball came up for about 20 seconds then went away, I continued to scroll but within another couple of seconds Mr Mel and my document were gone . . . "unexpectedly quit" or other euphemisms . . . ???????

This same thing happened before in the earlier versions when I was using an iBook with 658Megs of RAM, this time I'm using an MBP with 4 GB RAM . . . does Mr Mel use more than 4 Gigs of RAM to select text?? Seems like it was only Mr Mel who went out like a light in this case, so I'm not looking at it as a hardware issue. Mel claims to be great for long documents, but here it was probably only 100 pages that were selected . . . seems like a "bug" of some type that hasn't been resolved? Seems like it should be routine task to select a large number of pages and, let's say, change the font, or change the line spacing, and it shouldn't cause Mr Mel to . . . expire, unexpectedly???????? And, in the process losing a substantial amount of changes re-made before it quit, after the change in font where the various formats were lost, etc, the bold, underline, italics, and line spacing . . . had to start that over, etc.

Any thoughts about possible solutions?

e.e.p.
rwg

Re: Mr Mel drops like a stone w/trying to select & delete

Post by rwg »

Instead of scrolling through the text, you might try placing the cursor at the start of the text that you wish to highlight and then pressing Shift + Command + Down Arrow. This should select the remainder of the document instantly.

Rolf
este.el.paz

Post by este.el.paz »

rwg:

Alrighty, many thanks for that info . . . I wasn't trying to select the whole rest, just up to a certain point; but perhaps this method would get me closer to only needing to remodify the few end pages working backward. . . . Still, what's up with the crashing sound of Mr Mel hitting the deck when selecting text?

e.e.p.
rwg

Post by rwg »

I've never had any problems with selecting text, but it's easy enough to select large pieces of text without scrolling: place the cursor at the start of the section of text you wish to highlight, go to the end of the section and hold down the Shift key as you place the cursor at the end of the said section -- this should select all the text in between.

HTH, Rolf
este.el.paz

Post by este.el.paz »

rwg:

AH . . . OK, many thanks for that, my use of shortcuts has obviously been somewhat limited to command+ something . . . I'll have to try that out and see if Mr Mel remains standing after that . . . .

e.e.p.

still seems like email notification isn't happening???? Or were these preferences lost at some point and I'll have to re-new or check them again?? Seems like a couple of years back it was working and now not??
eduardus
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by eduardus »

My guess is that the trouble este.el.paz is experiencing is the result of changes introduced in 2.8 and carried into 2.9. I have reverted to 2.7 for exactly the sort of trouble este.el.paz is experiencing.

Mellel is a fabulous word processor. But I would love to hear the Redler's thoughts on this and the "choppy deletion" issue.
este.el.paz

Post by este.el.paz »

eduardus:

Thanks for the additional comments, and the suggestion for checking 2.7. I think I had this same problem of Mel crashing and/or sluggish spinning beachball behavior in 2.8 . . . which I think I still have in my Tiger iBook . . . I'll have to check that out later on. So far the newer features I don't think are being used by me, thinking that the Track Changes feature doesn't translate from Word documents or something but only works within Mellel??? I think a number of us have asked for a feature that can work with people who use Word so we can see the edits and notes made when re-opened in Mellel, which would be something that would prove quite handy if that happens in 3.0.

So, it could be that dropping back to 2.7 would not be too dramatic, except for having to change the formatting of the presently open documents to what?? .mel ??? But for what I do, which is pretty basic writing 2.7 might be more than enough for my needs and might get me out of this present problem.

e.e.p.
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Post by Eyal Redler »

Please report this type of trouble directly to us. If Mellel crashes, send us the crash report. If the crash is consistent with a particular document, also send us the document so we can test, find and fix the bugs that exist in Mellel as they exist in every other software product.
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW
este.el.paz

Post by este.el.paz »

Please report this type of trouble directly to us. If Mellel crashes, send us the crash report. If the crash is consistent with a particular document, also send us the document so we can test, find and fix the bugs that exist in Mellel as they exist in every other software product.
Eyal:

Alrighty, thanks for that follow-up, it's been awhile since I've had any issues with Mellel, less work, but now I'm back to using it more heavily . . . is it redlers@redlers.com that I would send the crash report and document to??

e.e.p.
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Post by Eyal Redler »

You can write to us at support @ redlers.com
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW
eduardus
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by eduardus »

este.el.paz, Redlers,

Any ideas regarding "Choppy deletion" and "Select and delete"? I wrote to support a while back, as was suggested, but it's just crickets.

eduardus