Keeping a table together

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

DanZac
Knows everything, can prove it

Keeping a table together

Post by DanZac »

Can someone explain how to keep a table together on 1 page?
jannuss

Re: Keeping a table together

Post by jannuss »

DanZac wrote:Can someone explain how to keep a table together on 1 page?
short answer: nope!

long answer: table cells cannot span pages, so Mellel will always jump a cell to the next page if there is no space for it on the current page.
The only solution I know is to manual manipulate the size of the cells so they all fit on one page.

Janet
DRB

Post by DRB »

It is possible, of course, to make a more or less unlimited length page with Mellel, by going to the file menu and in the print dialog customizing the size to however many centimeters in length and width you want. This will make an extraordinarily long page in Mellel and you could put your entire table without a break on to it. This does work and I have used this method from time to time. It's okay, providing you don't intend to mail it off to someone but want it only for your own personal onscreen use -- or perhaps have a printing machine which will take unlimited size paper rolls (pretty unlikely, I suspect!).

Another way would be to use a small character size for your table, and make the table cells of a considerably less height than usual. (Just select entire table and use the paragraph settings to cause your rows to be much less tall.) By the way, in my Tutorial I explain the method of manipulating the height of rows.

On the other hand, is it so terribly important to keep your table all on one page, such that even a small character size would not solve the problem?

Don Broadribb
DanZac

Post by DanZac »

Don and jannuss,
what I was hoping for was a table acting almost like a footnote in that if it spills over to the other page, it would just move the whole table down.
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

DanZac wrote:Don and jannuss,
what I was hoping for was a table acting almost like a footnote in that if it spills over to the other page, it would just move the whole table down.
Unfortunately, this is not possible. The only way to ensure this happens is to manually insert a page break before the table. This will require additional pagination afterwards, probably, so I would save this step for the end of the document process.
— Robert Cameron