doc and docx import

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Bulow
Knows everything, can prove it

doc and docx import

Post by Bulow »

Mellel 3 is full of interesting features, I am sure, but I was very disappointed to find that it will still not import doc and docx properly. Doc format loses footnotes and docx cannot be imported at all. One can slide the icon of a docx file onto the Mellel icon and open the file, but footnotes are lost. So I still have to pass the text through Nisus to open it and convert it to rtf and then import it into Mellel.
And, incidentally, I still have to go to sections to get rid of the line numbers.
Bulow
macsailor

Re: doc and docx import

Post by macsailor »

More or less the same problem and the same request here.
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
nicka

Post by nicka »

I suppose the problem is that Mellel is relying on the very limited doc and docx convertors supplied by Apple with the operating system. Scrivener used to too, and had similar anaemic support for doc and docx imports, but in its latest update this is much improved by the use of third-party Java convertors. Perhaps RedleX could licence them too.
jas
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by jas »

I too would like to see this in Mellel. I use Scrivener and Mellel for all academic writing. However, I do wish I could import a .doc from Scrivener into Mellel and maintain the numbered footnotes at the "foot" of the page and not endnotes at the "end" of the document. In any case, IMHO, Mellel is still the best for academic writing and long documents.