Referring to images – URGENT (thesis deadline)

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

JLRosenb
New to all this

Referring to images – URGENT (thesis deadline)

Post by JLRosenb »

Dear Ether,

I am pulling together my doctoral dissertation. I have many images that will form a section of plates at the end of my document. I Auto-Title each one as a 'figure', so they form a nice row of ducks. My problem is this: how can I have the body of my text read:

The tondo of this cup (fig. 45) shows something interesting.

where '(fig. 45)' depends on the number of the auto-titled figure? I can get it to spit out the page number, of course, but that's not what I want. Is this hopeless? Must I do this by hand? Many thanks in advance.

JLR
Hopeless and hapless in Oxford
nicka
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Referring to images – URGENT (thesis deadline)

Post by nicka »

Not hopeless at all. Mellel has excellent cross-referencing, and it's easy to do this (once you know how).

You are using auto-titles for the figure captions, so you can insert cross-references in your text to produce 'fig x' where x is the number the auto-title system has given to the figure caption.

You need to use Insert>Cross Reference>Insert Reference...

Then in the dialogue box, as reference type (top left box) choose 'Auto-titles', and pick the correct figure caption in the list in the middle of the dialogue box.

Then in the drop down menu at the bottom left (labelled 'Insert Element') choose 'Auto title current level number'. That will produce a blue lozenge labelled 'Auto-title curr#' in the bottom area. If there is anything else there, click into that bottom area and delete it.

You can add text like 'fig. ' by typing before the blue lozenge. You need to type the space, too, just as I put it. You can also type in the brackets that you want. Then the bottom box will look like this: '(fig. [Auto-title curr#])' (without the square brackets - I'm using them to indicate what is part of the blue lozenge.)

Once you've got that set up, you can save it, using the right-hand drop down, so that you don't have to type it each time you enter a cross-reference to a figure.

Try that and let us know if it doesn't work.
JLRosenb
New to all this

Post by JLRosenb »

Marvellous. Works a treat. I would self-flagellate, but must truck on. Thank you from the very bottom of my heart.

JLR
nicka

Post by nicka »

No problem. Good luck finishing up the dissertation.
chriggi
Already downloaded the guide

Post by chriggi »

Hi, I'm bringing this back up as it doesn't work in my case.

The problem is that the instances of "tag flows" (like equations, figures etc) just do not show up as possible cross reference points in the pop-up – only the structural flows and bookmarks (and – unexpectedly – images that I copy and pasted into the document w/o assigning them any flow or status or anything).

Any ideas what's wrong here?
nicka

Post by nicka »

I'm not sure how helpful this is, but I thought I should say that for me all auto title objects (tag flow and structural) show up as possible cross-reference targets, in a flat list. I wonder if you have done anything with just the tag flow objects that could be making them unseeable.
chriggi

Post by chriggi »

Ok, thanks, Nicka. Anyone with an idea how I could have done that – and more importantly: how I make them re-appear?

# My auto-title flow looks like this in the edit view: http://cl.ly/O3RI
# The "Add/Edit Cross-Reference" pop-up like this: http://cl.ly/O3Uw
nicka

Post by nicka »

Just to be sure: you have scrolled the 'Gliederungselemente' (i.e. Auto-title) list right up and right down as far as it will go, to check that the tag flow items aren't there somewhere?
chriggi

Post by chriggi »

I did, I swear I did. :-)

But… now… after inserting many many more for the purpose of testing, I can find them all. Don't know, my bad - now everything is fine!

Thanks a lot for your patience and persistence, nicka!
nicka

Post by nicka »

I'm glad it's working.

To be fair to you, what gets displayed in the right, preview pane, an din the cross-references dialogue box as a whole is often not very helpful. It's easy to miss the target you are looking for, I find.