Mellel Can't Save Document

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Boban
Knows everything, can prove it

Mellel Can't Save Document

Post by Boban »

I'm using Mellel 3.0.1 (build 2) on my iMac (just a few years old) running 10.6.8. I'm editing a book (!) about 400 pages long and now get, fairly frequently, an error from Mellel that the document cannot be saved. I also get, every so often, some kind of graphic breakdown where the text and/or page 'disappear' from the screen as I scroll. In the latter case I can quit Mellel and reopen the document without any loss of data, but it's still a nuisance.

Any ideas?

Best,

B.
jannuss

Re: Mellel Can't Save Document

Post by jannuss »

Bob, have you checked for possible causes outside Mellel: disk errors or lack of free space on the disk?

Janet
Boban

Post by Boban »

Well, there is around 90 gig of free space and the document is about 45mb, so I doubt that's it. My CD drive is broken, so I can't really run a disk check.

B.
Boban

Post by Boban »

Ran a disc check. It's fine.

B.
Boban

Post by Boban »

What a pity that there is no apparent solution to this problem. Being able to save a document is important.

B.
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

When you attempt to save a file and get the error, what is the exact wording of the error message you receive?

Also, what is being written to the log when you attempt to save the file?
— Robert Cameron
eduardus
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by eduardus »

Good suggestion from rpcameron above.

Another suggestion: have you tried copying the document (command-a for select all, command-c for copy) and pasting it into a brand new mellel document? 400 pp. is certainly a lot on the clipboard but it should be able to do the copy and paste. It's at least worth a shot. Maybe something is corrupted with your original file that copy-and-paste would address.

Just a guess.
GediWorrier
Already downloaded the guide

Post by GediWorrier »

I get this a lot, but with other apps (never Mellel), usually Ulysses. It comes after something has maxed out processor. I have found that Mac OSX is a lazy beast when it comes to memory and CPU management, and I have to constantly free up memory manually using Clear Genius Pro. Sometimes, though, an app goes feral and I just have to reboot. Fixes the problem.

GediWorrier.