Moving Documents with Style Sets?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

chmars
Got the styles thing figured out

Moving Documents with Style Sets?

Post by chmars »

Is there any way to move a document with the style set in use, i.e., can I send a document and its style set to be used on another computer? A style set can of course be manually moved to another computer but is there an automatic way?
Bulow
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Moving Documents with Style Sets?

Post by Bulow »

Unless I misunderstand your problem, you do not have one. Mellel documents always have their style-sets with them, and if the other user (or you on another computer) wants to, he can just save them and they will like his own.
chmars

Post by chmars »

Bulow wrote:Unless I misunderstand your problem, you do not have one. Mellel documents always have their style-sets with them, and if the other user (or you on another computer) wants to, he can just save them and they will like his own.
The Mellel Guide implies another behavior:
Moving a document to another Mac

When you move a document to another computer, the styles in the document will appear normally, if the other computer already has the same style set, or as document styles (marked by a diamond shape (◆) next to their name) if it doesn’t.
Bulow
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Bulow »

Exactly, the styles are exported with the document, but are not part of the global styles on the other computer. If you want to make them global, open the imported document, go to 'styles'> 'edit style sets' and you will find the icon (a globe) in the lower left corner, which allows you to import the whole style-set.
Bülow
chmars

Post by chmars »

I wish for an automatic process, manual sync has never worked for me in the long term. Well, thanks to Mellel Lite, I have now such a process! :)

(My first real-world usage of iCloud although it could of course also be implemented with Dropbox if supported by Mellel.)
nigel
Already downloaded the guide

Post by nigel »

I am interested in an automated way to to do this as well.
One thing that I can tell you is that you should not do it the way that I have for about 7 years?
I was syncing my Application Support/Mellel folder between computers.
Just last week this caused me enormous problems (first time).
I don't know why.
But now when I sync this folder Mellel stops working.
I need to find a new way to keep my Styles sets uniform across three computers.