Advice wanted for document with lots of illustrations

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

iljajj
New to all this

Advice wanted for document with lots of illustrations

Post by iljajj »

Hi,

This might have been asked earlier but it's rather difficult finding an answer, so apologies if this cropped up before.

I'm currently working on a book with about 60 illustrations. At the moment I have a text-only document, which works wonderfully quick. However, I'd greatly prefer to include the illustrations in the document, also to auto-title the captions. The average illustration will be about 2 MB, so we're talking about a 150-or-so MB document in total.

Can anyone tell me whether this is a good idea, and if not, if there is a general rule of thumb with regard to file size and the number of pictures in a Mellel document?

Thanks in advance,
Ilja
ahankinson
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Advice wanted for document with lots of illustrations

Post by ahankinson »

Hi Ilja,

I don't think you'll run into any problems. Let us know how it turns out!
jannuss
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Advice wanted for document with lots of illustrations

Post by jannuss »

Two factors that you probably have already thought of

1. Avoid adding very large images to your document: edit them down to more or less the size and resolution you need for publication before inserting them into the document -- this will help keep the file size contained.

2. Avoid the temptation to use "floating" images -- these are so easy to work with, but they can be a pain in a large document. Anchor your illustrations to the text as "in-line" images.

Janet