Mellel Lite?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: redlers, Eyal Redler, Ori Redler

Post Reply
ahankinson
Knows everything, can prove it
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:37 pm

Mellel Lite?

Post by ahankinson » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:14 pm

So why would I buy Mellel if it looks like Mellel Lite has all of the same features? The press release is long on "Buy this, it's just like Mellel!" but short on what the actual differences are.

What's the difference? A comparison chart of some sort would be very handy.

Eyal Redler
Co-founder
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:15 am

Re: Mellel Lite?

Post by Eyal Redler » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:41 pm

Mellel Lite has all the features of Mellel, except the following which are offered as options for in-app-purchase:
1. Table of contents ($6.99)
2. Cross Reference ($6.99)
3. Bibliography (available when upgrading to the full version - $19.99)

If you upgrade to the full version you will get the exact same thing as the full Mellel. In the future, we plan to add features to the full version which will be offered as in-app-purchase options in the Lite versions. Of-course - customers who bought the "upgrade to full" will get these features for free.

Another thing to note: at the moment Mellel lite is selling for $4.99 on the app store, if you purchase Mellel lite now and then upgrade to the full version you're essentially getting the full Mellel for less then $25 which is a nice deal. This is a limited time offer, the price will increase gradually until reaching 19$
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Developer at Mellel AAR LTD
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex

kjmatthews
Knows everything, can prove it
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:17 am

Re: Mellel Lite?

Post by kjmatthews » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:43 am

Eyal Redler wrote:Another thing to note: at the moment Mellel lite is selling for $4.99 on the app store, if you purchase Mellel lite now and then upgrade to the full version you're essentially getting the full Mellel for less then $25 which is a nice deal. This is a limited time offer, the price will increase gradually until reaching 19$
This is a tempting offer for current Mellel users looking for access to iCloud. Why not also drop the price of the the original Mellel app to $25 for the time being? Will features become available across the two apps in tandem, or will Mellel Lite users who upgrade to full be left waiting for new features already available to Mellel (regular) owners?

redlers
Site Admin
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:19 pm

Re: Mellel Lite?

Post by redlers » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:30 pm

kjmatthews wrote:
Eyal Redler wrote:Another thing to note: at the moment Mellel lite is selling for $4.99 on the app store, if you purchase Mellel lite now and then upgrade to the full version you're essentially getting the full Mellel for less then $25 which is a nice deal. This is a limited time offer, the price will increase gradually until reaching 19$
This is a tempting offer for current Mellel users looking for access to iCloud. Why not also drop the price of the the original Mellel app to $25 for the time being? Will features become available across the two apps in tandem, or will Mellel Lite users who upgrade to full be left waiting for new features already available to Mellel (regular) owners?
That will depend on the nature of the new feature. With every upgrade or enhancement to any existing feature (e.g., if auto-titles will also make coffee with version xx of Mellel; or if we add enhancement to footnotes and endnotes) the new features will come to Mellel Lite fully. Enhancements to general features (look and feel, palettes, tables, etc. etc.) will also update fully with Mellel Lite. Also, system compatibility features will make their way into Mellel Lite. Also new features that are part of older features (e.g., adding legal numbering) will also be part of Mellel Lite.

The only exception will be completely new features that are completely new AND are of "expert" nature (e.g., Script plug-in or an advanced index).

daiyi
Knows everything, can prove it
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:48 am

Re: Mellel Lite?

Post by daiyi » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:57 pm

I just purchased ML from the App Store. For much of what I do, the missing features are not necessary. It will be nice to store some documents in iCloud.

One suggestion, however. Could you please create a different icon for ML? I have both versions and it's easy to confuse them.

redlers
Site Admin
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:19 pm

Re: Mellel Lite?

Post by redlers » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:06 pm

daiyi wrote:I just purchased ML from the App Store. For much of what I do, the missing features are not necessary. It will be nice to store some documents in iCloud.

One suggestion, however. Could you please create a different icon for ML? I have both versions and it's easy to confuse them.
We'll do our best to make a new icon for Mellel Lite...

macsailor
Knows everything, can prove it
Posts: 361
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:10 pm
Location: Linköping, Sweden

Re: Mellel Lite?

Post by macsailor » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:03 pm

Eyal Redler wrote:If you upgrade to the full version you will get the exact same thing as the full Mellel. In the future, we plan to add features to the full version which will be offered as in-app-purchase options in the Lite versions. Of-course - customers who bought the "upgrade to full" will get these features for free.

Another thing to note: at the moment Mellel lite is selling for $4.99 on the app store, if you purchase Mellel lite now and then upgrade to the full version you're essentially getting the full Mellel for less then $25 which is a nice deal. This is a limited time offer, the price will increase gradually until reaching 19$
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I decide to buy the Mellel Lite and then upgrade to the full version, I still technically have the Lite version, nevertheless the upgrade? Will the only difference be that I have made an in-app-purchase, and thereby get hold of all the features from the full version?
redlers wrote:The only exception will be completely new features that are completely new AND are of "expert" nature (e.g., Script plug-in or an advanced index).
Does this mean that if you decide to implement completely new features within the full version, this will not automatically be included in my LITE version that was upgraded to the FULL version? Or will my upgraded LITE version be treated as a FULL version after the first in-app-purchase made directly after my purchase of the Lite version within the App store?

I have the full, original version of Mellel, bought directly from Redlex. I've be thinking about buying the new Lite version ($5 is a bargain) and upgrade it to the full version (for another $20), just to be able to use the icloud feature. But if the Lite version is still considered to be a Lite version even after the in-app-purchase upgrade, then I may not proceed with my purchase for now on.

To put it in a simple question: If I today buy the Lite version and then make the in-app-purchase upgrade to the full version, will my copy of Mellel be considered to be a full version from that time on or will it be considered to be a Lite version that just happened to be upgraded, but still just a "Lite" version?
Last edited by macsailor on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Edwardsson
..............................
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.

Eyal Redler
Co-founder
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:15 am

Re: Mellel Lite?

Post by Eyal Redler » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:07 pm

If you purchase the "upgrade to full" in app purchase you will be, technically, as you say, using the lite version. But for all practical purposes you are using the full version, it is the same code, same features, same everything. The only difference is that if you look at the application in the applications folder it will say "Mellel Lite" as the file name and not "Mellel" - and similarly in the dock. The only difference is the label.

This is true now and for the future. Whenever we update Mellel, we will update the lite version and people who've purchased the full upgrade will gain all new features that are included in the full version, beside gaining any new features that are added to both.

I would like to clarify the following quote:
The only exception will be completely new features that are completely new AND are of "expert" nature (e.g., Script plug-in or an advanced index).
Ori was referring here to features that may be added to the full version but may not be added to the un-upgraded lite version. The rule is simple, if you bought the upgrade to full you will get the same deal as anyone who bought Mellel.
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Developer at Mellel AAR LTD
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex

macsailor
Knows everything, can prove it
Posts: 361
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:10 pm
Location: Linköping, Sweden

Re: Mellel Lite?

Post by macsailor » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:15 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Now I'm a satisfied owner of Mellel (Redlex Store) and Mellel Lite (App Store). :D

Will upgrade to the full version (App Store) later. Will the upgrade price be the same or will it increase in a near future?
Peter Edwardsson
..............................
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.

chmars
Got the styles thing figured out
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:45 pm

Re: Mellel Lite?

Post by chmars » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Will Mellel Lite users who have purchased the full upgrade be able to use the 'full' Mellel Lite version forever, i.e., even without the Mac App Store working and present?

Eyal Redler
Co-founder
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:15 am

Re: Mellel Lite?

Post by Eyal Redler » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:37 pm

chmars wrote:Will Mellel Lite users who have purchased the full upgrade be able to use the 'full' Mellel Lite version forever, i.e., even without the Mac App Store working and present?
I'm not sure I understand. Are you asking what will happen if Apple goes belly up and closes the App Store?
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Developer at Mellel AAR LTD
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex

bluestem
Got the styles thing figured out
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:48 pm
Location: Hot Springs, SD
Contact:

Re: Mellel Lite?

Post by bluestem » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:10 pm

I installed Mellel Lite on my MacBook with OS 10.6.8. It won't open. Has anyone had this experience? Can't get help from reflex. Darned if I'm going to try buying another one.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
- Margaret Mead -

ahankinson
Knows everything, can prove it
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:37 pm

Re: Mellel Lite?

Post by ahankinson » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:54 am

What have you tried? How did you try to contact them? They're usually very good at responding. Have you looked at your console to see if there are any errors?

bluestem
Got the styles thing figured out
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:48 pm
Location: Hot Springs, SD
Contact:

Re: Mellel Lite?

Post by bluestem » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:40 pm

They USED to reply. Yes, I tried to contact them and no, they did not reply. Have I looked at Console... I'll do that.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
- Margaret Mead -

Eyal Redler
Co-founder
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:15 am

Re: Mellel Lite?

Post by Eyal Redler » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:24 pm

I'm afraid Mellel lite is not supported on 10.6.8. Due to an error on our part the app store did not indicate this and didn't prevent Mellel Lite from being downloaded by users of 10.6
Please contact us a "suupport at redlers.com" and we'll see how we can amend this.
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Developer at Mellel AAR LTD
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 13 guests