MathType and Mellel

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

laup
Knows everything, can prove it

MathType and Mellel

Post by laup »

A MathType character or equation pasted into Mellel appears with an incorrect baseline. This can be manually corrected using the basenline-shift option in the Character palette if one selects not just the character/equation, but also the adjacent space (otherwise the option isn't operative). For Times Roman, font 12, the adjustment is 2 points. Having to do this each time is very annoying and mistakes could easily be made. I've queried Redlers about fixes, but a question for the forum is whether there is something easy that I've missed, such as a preference in Mellel or MathType.

(This topic was raised months ago by DylanMuir in the Nitty/Gritty forum (serarch for his name or "equation alignment").
Paul
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Re: MathType and Mellel

Post by Eyal Redler »

We've fixed this issue for MathMagic in 3.2, seems that we still have an issue with MathType. We will fix this in the upcoming dot release.
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW
laup

Post by laup »

It is less difficult to make the adjustments than i realized. After inserting the math character or equations, double-click on the object and, in the pane that opens, change the vertical position, e.g., enter -2 or -15 for a character or an equation that has more vertical dimension. It's still an annoyance and the correct adjustment to make depends on the precise mathematical expression, the settings in MathType, etc. Adjusting by eye can be close but imperfect. Thus, Eyal's news is very good news.
Paul
DylanMuir

Post by DylanMuir »

This is now fixed in the latest release.

DRM
raymond

Post by raymond »

How one creates an equation in Mellel?
Few explanations and How to do, would be very welcomed.
Raymond
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

raymond wrote:How one creates an equation in Mellel?
Few explanations and How to do, would be very welcomed.
Raymond

If you use MathMagic Lite, you can follow the instructions at page 197 in the Mellel Guide:
To use MathMagic equations as “live” objects:
1 Create an equation in MathMagic and copy it.
2 Paste the equation into a Mellel document.
Figure 109: Equation pasted in a Mellel document
3 Copy the equation again, move to MathMagic and paste it. The equation should function as a “live” equation (namely, it will be editable).
It would really be great if Mellel finally implemented the LinkBack technology and made it possible to switch back and forth between applications that supports LinkBack. Then it would be possible to go forth and beakc between Mellel and for example Omnigraffle and LaTeXiT.
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
laup

Post by laup »

I use MathType, which works fine. Others use MathMagic. Another possibility, which would be free, would be to use Word if you happen to have it on your machine. I tried the experiment of entering an equation with Word 2011's equation editor (Insert menu/equation) and then copying and pasting. Everything looked fine, but my experiment was very limited.
Paul