Changing formatting for all footnotes

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

strickvl
Got the styles thing figured out

Changing formatting for all footnotes

Post by strickvl »

I have a 95-page document, with footnotes of different formats (document was imported from different places).

I want to change the formatting of every single footnote. Is there a way to do that in Mellel? Or do I have to individually assign a character/paragraph style to every single footnote and then do it that way?
strickvl

Re: Changing formatting for all footnotes

Post by strickvl »

Also, how to I change the tabbing/space between the (1.) of the footnote and the text of the footnote?
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by rpcameron »

strickvl wrote:Also, how to I change the tabbing/space between the (1.) of the footnote and the text of the footnote?
Change the location of the tab in the paragraph style assigned to the note.
— Robert Cameron
strickvl

Post by strickvl »

Thanks. But I'm attaching an image which shows how there supposedly is no tab to change the location of...

Also, still doesn't help me if I want to change them all... Or is there now way to do all of them?
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by rpcameron »

strickvl wrote:Thanks. But I'm attaching an image which shows how there supposedly is no tab to change the location of...

Also, still doesn't help me if I want to change them all... Or is there now way to do all of them?
Look at the ruler above the example paragraph: it shows let-aligned tabs every 1.25 cm up to 15.25 cm. If you click on an individual tab, the "Tab" section above with change and fill with that particular tab's details. You can click on a tab to drag it to a new place, or you can right-click on the ruler to either clear all existing tabs stops, or to set a new series of default tab stops.

(The "Tab" section doesn't have any info in its boxes because you haven't selected any tabs yet.)
— Robert Cameron
redlers
Site Admin

Post by redlers »

strickvl wrote:I have a 95-page document, with footnotes of different formats (document was imported from different places).

I want to change the formatting of every single footnote. Is there a way to do that in Mellel? Or do I have to individually assign a character/paragraph style to every single footnote and then do it that way?
This is what you should do:
Solution A - the normal situation
A. The footnotes use a certain paragraph style. You can see which by choosing Insert > Note > Edit note attributes, and you can simply click in any note and see what style is used there in the Paragraph palette list.
B. Let's say that the paragraph style is "Footnote" - change the style to what you need, and save the changes. All the footnotes should change at once.

Solution B - when there are multiple styles
Sometimes, there are different styles applied to footnotes. If that is the situation (i.e., solution A does not do the job), try:
A. Enter any footnote, change the style there to what you need, and save the changes.
B. Choose Insert > Note > Edit note attributes and then choose the style you've modified with step A for the footnote text.

Solution C - when a document style (with a "diamond") is used with some footnotes
A. Enter any footnote, If the style there is a document style (with a "diamond"), click the Add button in the Paragraph style's list to create a new one, name it and set it to what you need, and then save the changes.
B. Choose Insert > Note > Edit note attributes and then choose the style you've created/modified with step A for the footnote text.

With all solutions, if you have set the paragraph style with an associated character style, mind that this may eliminate ad-hoc changes to character styling. You may prefer not to have an associated character style with that paragraph style.