Problem Finding Hebrew Unicode

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

timothylfox
Got the styles thing figured out

Problem Finding Hebrew Unicode

Post by timothylfox »

Hi,

I'm writing a paper mainly in English. I also use Greek and Hebrew. I have Greek set as my "secondary font" with my preferred Greek font. Therefore, when I switch to the Greek keyboard, it automatically gives me the correct font (instead of the Times New Roman version of Greek). So far so good. However, when I switch to the Hebrew keyboard, it uses a font I'd rather not use.

First question: Is there a way to have a "tertiary font," i.e., have a third font applied when I'm typing in Hebrew?

Second question: I'm trying to find all Hebrew in the paper so that I can quickly "replace" it with the correct font. I tried searching for a "character range" using the unicode numbering (0590–05FF, right?). When I do this, though, it is finding lots of (but not all) English characters—it's not picking out the Hebrew characters. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Tim
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Problem Finding Hebrew Unicode

Post by rpcameron »

Does your preferred Greek font have Latin support? If so, the answer to your first question is to set the primary font to your Greek face and use that for both Greek and Latin, and use your secondary font for the Hebrew.

As for the second, how are you indicating the character range? I'm not sure that Mellel's search feature lets you use arbitrary Unicode points. Bt, have you tried inserting the first character in the Hebrew Unicode range directly, and the last char?
— Robert Cameron
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by rpcameron »

So, I just ran a test that seemed to work pretty well for me. Here is the find expression I used:
{CharRange: U+0590–U+05FF, once or more, greedy}{Group: {Whitespace}+{CharRange: U+0590–U+05FF, once or more, greedy}, zero or more, greedy}
So, you have your character range set to grab Hebrew words. Then, I followed that with an expression that will also capture any additional Hebrew words that are separated from the first by whitespace; however, if there is any Unicode character that falls within this range that is not Hebrew (such as punctuation), it will stop the selection. I suppose you could put an alternation between the whitespace and punctuation for one or more occurrences to mitigate this, though.
— Robert Cameron
timothylfox
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by timothylfox »

THANK YOU! This worked—I hadn't set it to "one or more" and "greedy," although I'm not sure why this was causing it to find single Roman characters.

(and to answer your first question — no, I need to have Times New Roman for the English, but then a different font for each other language).

Thanks again!
Tim