Mellel menu Language

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

uhartge
Got the styles thing figured out

Mellel menu Language

Post by uhartge »

Hello Forum,

I purchased Mellel through the German App Store and I got a german Mellel. Is it possible to change Mellel completely to english. (menu... everything )

Uli
Bulow
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Mellel menu Language

Post by Bulow »

As far as know Mellel adapts to your system language, i.e. if you speak German with your computer, Mellel will also speak German to you, but if you change the system language, Mellel will also change.
Bülow
uhartge

Post by uhartge »

Yes you are right. I change OS X Language to english and Mellel is english now.
As far as good.
But I would like to talk with my macbook german and with Mellel english. Has anyone an idea how to tell this Mellel?

Uli
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

There isn't really a way to do that easily in OS X. Basically what you would need to do is open the System Preferences, change your preferred language from Germna to English, start Mellel, then switch your language back from English to German in the System Preferences.

Another thought is possibly a shell script, with:

Code: Select all

LANG="en" open /Applications/Mellel.app
That ought to do the same thing.
— Robert Cameron
uhartge

Post by uhartge »

I found an easy solution.
As I am using Alfred2 with the PowerPack:
There is a workflow from http://adrianthomas.com/projects/Alfred ... her-plugin

Uli
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

I'm glad you found a solution that works for you. I just tested my previous suggestion by setting $LANG, which was incorrect. The proper environment variable ought to have been $LANGUAGE. However, it seems that OS X doesn't set the $LANG/$LANGUAGE variables. Even substituting $LANGUAGE for $LANG, or by passing the value through `env` did not work, either.

I'm not sure what mechanism OS X uses to set its localization settings for applications, but it is not the standard $LANGUAGE/$LC_* mechanisms used in other POSIX/Unix-like systems.
— Robert Cameron
Machiel

Post by Machiel »

Another simple (and free) solution is Language Switcher: http://www.tj-hd.co.uk/en-gb/languageswitcher/.
raymond

Post by raymond »

I am not sure I understand your wish. You wrote:
" But I would like to talk with my macbook german and with Mellel english. Has anyone an idea how to tell this Mellel? "

I have system language as English, and Mellel interface as English, But I have no problem to write in French or in Hebrew in Mellel. So what is the problem?
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

The OP wishes his interface language for OS X to be German—and presumably, for all applications, including input—but wishes that Mellel's interface was localized for English.

In Microsoft Office, this is achieved by using the 'Language Register' application that localizes a Microsoft application. (This is predominantly used to set the interface/capabilities of Word for East Asian languages on Western systems.) In most UNIX/Linux/BSD/&c. applications, this is handled through environment variables LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, LANG and LANGUAGE. (For instance, you can set LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8" for a Unicode German locale, including keymap/input, LANG="de_DE.ISO-8859-1" for a non-Unicode fallback, and LANGUAGE="de_DE:de:en" to set a language preference of Germany's German, followed by general German and finally English for the interface and other locale settings.) You can override an application instance's of these variables at runtime by changing the variable just for that running application.

In OS X, the only way to achieve a similar feature is the set your preferred language(s) in System Preferences. To change a specific applications locale settings, you have to change it first in Sytem Preferences, start the application, and then change it back in System Preferences. (Changes to the locale/language settings made in System Preferences only affect applications launched after the change is made; currently running applications continue to use the setting of what the system was when they were launched.)

In essence, the OP wishes to have a way to automate the process in OS X, instead of needing to go through the steps involving System Preferences each time Mellel is launched.

(As a side note, this used to be much easier to achieve in OS X: One could set the language preference in System Preferences to a list of German first, followed by English. Then, in the Finder, select 'Get Info…' of the Mellel application, and disabled the German language in the application's properties. This would cause the Mellel application to not see that it had German language files, and instead choose the next language in the user's System Preferences' settings. However, the option to en-/disable specific languages for an application was removed when app signing and the App Store were introduced.)
— Robert Cameron