Mellel for iPad. Woowoowwoo! and questions

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Marsilius
Already downloaded the guide

Mellel for iPad. Woowoowwoo! and questions

Post by Marsilius »

I just got my Mellel for iPad and think I am a little bit in love. Is this the place to start questions, comments, requests about it? Well if so, a few random ones:

I love the export option, but wonder if it is or will be possible to "Export as RTF." That would be killing!

When I try exporting to Ulysses, it doesn't seem work. I have iCloud turned on, but my file just seems to not appear there.

I love the footnotes insert, but assume I can only enter Bookends notes directly once I export the document to my laptop or desktop?

When exporting to email, would there be an option of sending text in body of email, in ADDITION to the attached Mellel file? If export as RTF were possible this would not be as important, but always nice to options for sending formatted text via email to others.

Finally, when I hold my finger on a text, I get the options "Select All" and "Paste" but NOT "Select" so I can't seem to select a portion of text easily? I am sure I am missing something here.
UPDATE: Figured this one out (duh) TAP TWICE ON WORD!

Very excited!
redlers
Site Admin

Re: Mellel for iPad. Woowoowwoo! and questions

Post by redlers »

Marsilius wrote:I just got my Mellel for iPad and think I am a little bit in love. Is this the place to start questions, comments, requests about it? Well if so, a few random ones:

I love the export option, but wonder if it is or will be possible to "Export as RTF." That would be killing!

When I try exporting to Ulysses, it doesn't seem work. I have iCloud turned on, but my file just seems to not appear there.

I love the footnotes insert, but assume I can only enter Bookends notes directly once I export the document to my laptop or desktop?

When exporting to email, would there be an option of sending text in body of email, in ADDITION to the attached Mellel file? If export as RTF were possible this would not be as important, but always nice to options for sending formatted text via email to others.

Finally, when I hold my finger on a text, I get the options "Select All" and "Paste" but NOT "Select" so I can't seem to select a portion of text easily? I am sure I am missing something here.
UPDATE: Figured this one out (duh) TAP TWICE ON WORD!

Very excited!
Well, as you've already opened this discussion - I guess this is the place for this... :-)

Regarding the various export options - If you check other apps on iPad you'll find that the concepts you're used to on the Mac are either absent or gain a new meaning. For example, with Pages you can send a document saved as PDF, Word, Pages document or ePub to someone else, or open those in an application that supports this format (or claims to do that, anyhow). In this, there is no concept of "export as..." in iPad. You can export a file to be opened with Ulysses or any other application, but the file would not be exported but converted and opened by Ulysses as a native file of the application - in other words, there is no format and there are no files - just documents opened by various applications.

We're still 'feeling our way' around this. Essentially, with the initial release, we were looking to satisfy the needs of moving to and from Mellel on various platforms. The next step is to add other apps to the fray.

Ori
Marsilius
Already downloaded the guide

Post by Marsilius »

Thanks Ori,

It is very cool. My sense is that the most compelling "extra" option would be to export or send as rtf, since that has the most flexibility on the other end. For example, if I could send a doc as an email to someone, or to Dropbox, without Mellel straight from the iPad , I would be the coolest kid on the block. Especially the idea of sending as rtf to dropbox would suddenly make that file available to ALL in that folder, even if they DON'T have the sense to have such a great app as Mellel.
Thanks again for an exciting app.
raymond
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by raymond »

Ori wrote:
" in other words, there is no format and there are no files - just documents opened by various applications. "
My question, if I understood it correctly:
Will this issue of No File would be as well in Hebrew?
If yes. is there a way to apply it to mellel on Mac?