iPad and Mac sync

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

darthkt
New to all this

iPad and Mac sync

Post by darthkt »

I had understood that having Mellel for iPad and a non-MAS copy of Mellel would still sync through iCloud. Am I missing something?

The iPad iCloud document viewer shows a Mellel folder, but the folder doesn't show up on the Mac. I am running 10.11.1 beta on the Mac and 9.1 on the iPad.

Thanks.

Kevin
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: iPad and Mac sync

Post by rpcameron »

Non-Mac App Store versions of any software cannot access the iCloud filesystem. That functionality is a carrot (or stick, depending upon your view) that Apple uses to get applications into the MAS; if you want iCloud features, you have to buy/sell through the App Store.

There is a rough workaround, involving searching through your ~/Library/Mobile Documents folder (or similar, I can't recall the exact location right now), and accessing the iCloud files that way; however direct access like that is not guaranteed to have the most up-to-date synced versions of the document ...
— Robert Cameron
farcas
Read the guide!

Post by farcas »

Just to be clear: If I bought Mellel from the online store and I have iOS Mellel on my iPad, I cannot sync them via iCloud?

Is the only solution: buy Mellel (again) on the Apple app store?

Thanks!
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Correct. Only applications purchased through Apple's Mac App Store can access iCloud Sync, because it needs to be signed by Apple. (At least, that was the case when it was unveiled. Apple may have changed their developer rules, but I am unaware of such a change. This was one method Apple used to force developers to sell through the MAS, and hence take a cut of each sale.)
— Robert Cameron
Declan

Post by Declan »

I seem to recall that it used to work fine. Am I to understand that I would have to repurchase Mellel to have the sync back?
That would be unfortunate.

Declan
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

As I understand it, you can manually store your files in 'iCloud Drive', and access them from both Mac and iOS. However, all your Macs must be on Yosemite or later, your iOS devices must be running iOS 8 or later, and you must have upgraded your AppleID to use iCloud Drive. In this manner, iCloud Drive will function much like Dropbox or OneDrive on the Mac.

However, iCloud syncing is a bit different, and I believe syncing settings and an application's direct access to lower-level aspects of iCloud is only granted to applications bought through the Mac App Store.

Therefore, if you manually copy your files to your iCloud Drive in the Finder, or save directly to your iCloud Drive in Mellel, this should work fine. But, you must manually put your desktop files there.
— Robert Cameron
farcas
Read the guide!

Post by farcas »

Then if you create a new mellel doc on iPad will it sync over to iCloud on Mac?

Thanks.
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

farcas wrote:Then if you create a new mellel doc on iPad will it sync over to iCloud on Mac?

Thanks.
I do not use Mellel on an iPad, so I am uncertain where its document store is. I believe it will appear in a Mellel folder in iCloud Drive. You can also enable the iCloud Drive app on iOS through Settings, and it will appear on your Home screen, allowing you to browse the files there.
— Robert Cameron
frvs

Post by frvs »

Hello,

I did not buy Mellel for Mac on the MAS, and yet the synchronization with Mellel on the iPad is faultless. Yes, when you create a new document on the iPad it appears (instantly) on iCloud. I'm not clear whether Mellel for iPad created its own folder on iCloud or whether I did it myself. Anyway, sync works fine, and it is very fast. Really wonderful, I must say.

Francisco
farcas
Read the guide!

Post by farcas »

Thanks!