Got the auto-title mojo working

Numbering rows in a table

Post by paieye »

How does one do the above, please ?
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Numbering rows in a table

Post by rpcameron »

The easiest way is to add an extra column for the numbers.

However, if you are talking about automatically, then no. For situations such as that, I personally coy the text into a text editor such as vim, TextMate or similar, process the information there, then copy it back.

Mellel's tables are lacking in many features, but when you start thinking outside of Mellel, many things are possible.
— Robert Cameron
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

There's another option that may or may not fit your requirements: Mellel can do automatic line numbering with columns [Sections]

Janet
paieye

Post by paieye »

Thank you. I can insert an extra column, but how then do I define automatic numbering in that column ?
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

paieye wrote:Thank you. I can insert an extra column, but how then do I define automatic numbering in that column ?

If you are using sections/columns [even a section with only one column], you don't need to assign an extra place for the line numbers. Melee takes care of that.

In the Sections palette, select Line Numbering (at the bottom of the window) and then Edit attributes to see all the options available.
Of course,Line Numbers re also available in Edit Style Sets/Sections

Janet
paieye

Post by paieye »

May I pose the question slightly differently ? I need to create an inventory of items of antique furniture. I need 3 headings, if I may use that word neutrally: Item number; description; measurements. I may from time to time want to insert a new item between items already in the inventory, and shall want the numbering to adjust itself automatically.

Using Mellel, what is the easiest way of doing that ?
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

paieye wrote:May I pose the question slightly differently ? I need to create an inventory of items of antique furniture. I need 3 headings, if I may use that word neutrally: Item number; description; measurements. I may from time to time want to insert a new item between items already in the inventory, and shall want the numbering to adjust itself automatically.

Using Mellel, what is the easiest way of doing that ?
Tables is definitely your best choice.
And, that means no columns and no automatic line numbering.
You are left to enter the line numbers manually
paieye

Post by paieye »

Thank you. Janet, but that will rule out Mellel. TextEdit it must be.
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

paieye wrote:Thank you. Janet, but that will rule out Mellel. TextEdit it must be.
I suppose if you're going the TextEdit route, its implementation will be similar to Mellel's.

What about a numbered list with a tab stop in the paragraph? Numbering is handled automatically, and you just type the first column, hit [tab], then enter the data for your second column. You won't have the items visually in cells with borders, but it will mimic that fairly well with automatic numbering. You won't have header fields at the top of the page, but I seem to recall that Mellel doesn't support that in tables either. (Unless it was added in the past 18 months ... it's been some time since I used Mellel.)

Actually, column headers on subsequent pages can be approximated with a page header using a page style specific for your listing.
— Robert Cameron
paieye

Post by paieye »

TextEdit will give me a numbered list, and, if - or rather, when -- I forget some item and need to insert it later, it will adjust the numbering automatically. I have always got Pages if I need more than that. Thank you for the suggestions.
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

paieye wrote:TextEdit will give me a numbered list, and, if - or rather, when -- I forget some item and need to insert it later, it will adjust the numbering automatically. I have always got Pages if I need more than that. Thank you for the suggestions.
That's exactly what I was proposing. Mellel does indeed support numbered lists. I presume the reason they weren't mentioned in the beginning was because you stated that you wanted a table specifically, and the implication being that the table was the most important aspect, rather than the numbering.
— Robert Cameron
paieye

Post by paieye »

My apology, I did not read your message with sufficient care -- I shall try that, and report back.