Mellel cannot find a font available in another program.

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

JWH
Already downloaded the guide

Mellel cannot find a font available in another program.

Post by JWH »

Recently I did a reinstall of Mellel on a new SSD, with upgrade from Lion to El Capitan. My primary default font that I used in Mellel for the past 10 years, Century Schoolbook, is no longer available in Mellel (bracketed by parentheses in the pull down menu). But this font *does* appear and is usable in my MS Word program (new 2015 version). I cannot find this font in either my system font folder nor my user font folder (even though it appears in MS Word's pulldown menu!). It is as though MS Word has hidden this one font in another folder somewhere that Mellel cannot find. Any ideas (besides giving up and switching all my font styles in Mellel to Palatino)? Thanks in advance . . .
John
shades
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Mellel cannot find a font available in another program.

Post by shades »

I,too, lost Century Schoolbook sometime back.

I decided to use Libertine (both serif and sans serif typefaces), more complete, and beautiful, usable font.
Rich
old, slow, and confused...but at least I’m inconsistent!

iMac 27" (10. 13. 8 ) and MBP 13" Retina (10. 13. 8 )
DavidH
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Mellel cannot find a font available in another program.

Post by DavidH »

My sense is that nowadays the Mac system installs Century Schoolbook Regular only, not Bold, Italics, or Bold Italics. As far as I can tell from my own machine, Century Regular is still available in Mellel. The brackets might be warning you that you’ve defined styles involving Century Schoolbook and if forms of the font other than the Roman Regular are called for you won’t get them. Word just doesn’t provide that warning, and would probably fake bold or italics if you asked for them.

If you have the equation editor MathType installed, even the watered down version that comes or used to come with Word, you’ll find you have a font called Euclid. It’s a renamed and reconfigured version of Century Schoolbook, and includes Bold, Italics, and Bold Italics in addition to the Regular weight. It might or might not space and kern just like your old Century Schoolbook, and might be missing a few special characters for all I know, but it has the proper letterforms for the Latin alphabet at any rate. Try using Euclid the way you had been using Century Schoolbook and see how well that works.