Text wrapping to size of window

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

vwMellel
Got the auto-title mojo working

Text wrapping to size of window

Post by vwMellel »

In Mellel (currently using 3.5.0b18) I do not believe it possible, on changing the width of a window, to have the text match/wrap to the new width of the window (whether in Mellel view or Compact view).

This is possible in other word processors such as Nisus Writer Pro (Draft View only), Libre Office (Web view only), Microsoft Word (Web view only).

If it is possible, I would grateful to know how to make it work. If not, could not be implemented in the upcoming version 4.0?

Without this feature being present, at least for me, it makes Mellel of limited use, particularly on a smaller screen and with a higher zoom setting.
Bulow
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Text wrapping to size of window

Post by Bulow »

You are in fact asking for a total change of lay-out just by changing the aspect of the view. As you remark yourself, the programs that will do this will only do it in 'web view', a mode that Mellel does not have - nor would I personally know what to use it for, but then, I do not use tablets or phones.
Bulow
vwMellel
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by vwMellel »

Thank you for the reply, but I disagree with some of what you write.

Nisus Writer Pro does not have a web view but a Draft view (as my first post mentions). To me, this seems to be the same as Compact view in Mellel.

As to what use it can be put: for example, I might have a web page with some information from which I wish to take some notes. I can make this web page to take half of the screen. The other half to be the Nisus Writer Pro view. Therefore I do not need to switch windows but can see both at the same time. With Mellel while this is possible I would keep scroll horizontally as the line would extend beyond the width of the window.

There are various text editors that all can do this as well, such as nvAlt, BBEDit, Notes, SimpleNote. So what I am suggesting is not some obscure feature.

It would be good to hear from the developers on this.
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Post by Eyal Redler »

Regarding this "web view". We may offer this kind of display in the future but it is not slated to be part of Mellel 4.0. Mellel is very much a strict WYSIWYG program and and a lot of the features and functionality revolve around how things look on the final output. I'm wondering whether you've tried to use compact mode + "fit width", this would eliminated horizontal scrolling. If the text is too small you can choose a smaller page size (A5, for example). I agree it would be nicer to have this as a view option but I think it is a way that can give you a similar working environment to what you're describing.
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW