adding one language to another

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

raymond
Knows everything, can prove it

adding one language to another

Post by raymond »

Hello,

I am with last version of Mellel on last version of El Capitano.

I have document in Hebrew of several pages, which means the document is on Right 2 Left direction.
I need to add few pages in English to it, and these pages would be on the back of the document.
The document would be printed, so when reading it, the reader would go from R2L. But when one would wish to read the English part of it, the back of the document would be the first page of the English part.
How I may combine the two files to have one document in the form I wish?

TIA
rpcameron

Re: adding one language to another

Post by rpcameron »

Have you tried setting up 2 different page styles, one for the RTL Hebrew style, and another for the LTR English? Then, you can use a Page Style Break between the 2 documents to separate them.

If that won't work, the other way I see to achieve this is to have 2 separate documents. Export/print each one to PDF, and then combine the 2 PDFs into a single file.
— Robert Cameron
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

rpcameron wrote:Have you tried setting up 2 different page styles, one for the RTL Hebrew style, and another for the LTR English? Then, you can use a Page Style Break between the 2 documents to separate them.

If that won't work, the other way I see to achieve this is to have 2 separate documents. Export/print each one to PDF, and then combine the 2 PDFs into a single file.
The problem is much more complex then simple RtL and LtR styles -- most of us know how to mix these.

The big issue is page numbering: if you've ever seen a book with Hebrew and English sides, then you know that when you open from the right (Hebrew|) the pages are numbered 1-to-whatever in the middle. And if you open from the left (English), the pages are also numbered 1-to-whatever in the middle.

I've given it a lot of thought, and like you, I think Raymond's only solution is to work with two separate files.

Janet
raymond

Post by raymond »

Thanks to your replies.
I need to have one file, most of it in Hebrew and small part of it in English, with no page numbering, except one or two of them with roman numbers.
I know that the world of Word is able to do it. I wish a solution would be in Mellel as well
I know that Index is very important to mellel community, but the issue I am raising is important as well.

Redlers brothers, where are you?