slow working and always turning ball

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

joern
Already downloaded the guide

slow working and always turning ball

Post by joern »

Hello,
I work with Mellel 3.5.1. and 10.8.5 with 8 GB RAM. I have a document with 100 pages and 70 figures (png, 150 dpi). I encounter the problem after writing one, two or some sentences the Mac ball appears, keeps turning for ca. 10 seconds and I have to wait. That happens more or less regularly: I add an image - I have to wait - I write the image description - I have to wait - I add it as figure - I have to wait … very often also during simple wirting. I simply cannot work with Mellel at the moment but I want to!

Jörn
Bulow
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: slow working and always turning ball

Post by Bulow »

How big is your file in MB? What happens is clearly that Mellel puts up the wheel every time it autosaves, but it does seem very slow in doing so. Do you have many other program open at the same time? Is you machine generally slow? Long files are usually a speciality of Mellel, but if you have too little RAM for turning over it takes time.
Try turning off all programs and reboot the machine, just to see if it helps.
Bulow
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

To add to what Bulow has said: is Mellel the only application giving you this problem?

I've had similar issues in the past which turned out to be disk hardware problems.

Try checking the following
-- is there enough free space available on your disk? You should have at least 20% free for efficient usage.
-- have you tied "cleaning up" the disk? Run Utilities/Disk Utility/First Aid
-- have you checked if some other application is slowing you down? Run Utilities/Activity Monitor/Disk

Janet
joern

http://forum.mellel.com/Re: slow working and always turning

Post by joern »

Hello,
sorry for my late response but I was away. My computer isn‘t slow. The file size is 165 MB and 1/3 is free on my hard desk. But there were other applications open. So, I cleaned up the hard desk, restarted, opened only Mellel and I had no other behaviour. Then I deleted the user cache and now it runs faster. I don‘t know how long but at least some progress.

best wishes and thanks for your hints
Jörn
Bulow

Post by Bulow »

Well 165MB is a big file, but Mellel should be able to handle it. What slows you down is clearly the automatic save and/or back up, and you might consider turning them off, or at least set the frequency somewhat longer. Preferences > Open and Save gives you various possibilities. If you turn the automatic save &c off, you must of course save manually and will have less security, but you will not be interrupted at inconvenient moments.
Bulow
joern

Post by joern »

Hello Bulow,
thanks for your hint and I turned off the automatic save and it works now.

Best wishes
Jörn