Secondary font question

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

jzents
Read the guide, knows everything

Secondary font question

Post by jzents »

I need to put quite a few quotations in Greek in the footnotes of my document. The document itself is written in English. I am trying to set up the secondary font so that it will cover that and invoke the Doulos SIL font when I am copying the Greek text from the document in which I have compiled the quotations. How can I tell if it is kicking over to the secondary font when I input the Greek. Whether or not it shows up in Greek characters is not quite enough, because the font that I use for English has a pretty extensive Greek character set as well. I just happen to like the Doulos SIL font better for extended text in Greek. When I put my cursor in the middle of the Greek text and look at the character attributes should it list the base font or the secondary font ? Any help would be appreciated!
jannuss
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Secondary font question

Post by jannuss »

jzents wrote:I need to put quite a few quotations in Greek in the footnotes of my document. The document itself is written in English. I am trying to set up the secondary font so that it will cover that and invoke the Doulos SIL font when I am copying the Greek text from the document in which I have compiled the quotations. How can I tell if it is kicking over to the secondary font when I input the Greek. Whether or not it shows up in Greek characters is not quite enough, because the font that I use for English has a pretty extensive Greek character set as well. I just happen to like the Doulos SIL font better for extended text in Greek. When I put my cursor in the middle of the Greek text and look at the character attributes should it list the base font or the secondary font ? Any help would be appreciated!
If you are using styles, this should be a non-issue
-- style one with English only
-- Style two with English and Greek as the secondary font [for the footnotes]
Click on the Greek text in the footnote. It should show as style two.

Janet
jzents

Post by jzents »

jannuss wrote:
jzents wrote:I need to put quite a few quotations in Greek in the footnotes of my document. The document itself is written in English. I am trying to set up the secondary font so that it will cover that and invoke the Doulos SIL font when I am copying the Greek text from the document in which I have compiled the quotations. How can I tell if it is kicking over to the secondary font when I input the Greek. Whether or not it shows up in Greek characters is not quite enough, because the font that I use for English has a pretty extensive Greek character set as well. I just happen to like the Doulos SIL font better for extended text in Greek. When I put my cursor in the middle of the Greek text and look at the character attributes should it list the base font or the secondary font ? Any help would be appreciated!
If you are using styles, this should be a non-issue
-- style one with English only
-- Style two with English and Greek as the secondary font [for the footnotes]
Click on the Greek text in the footnote. It should show as style two.

Janet
Alas that is what is not happening. Gentium Book Basic is the base font for notes. Doulos SIL is the secondary font. Yet when I put the cursor into the Greek text, I find that it still gives the name of the base font, Gentium Book Basic, and not Doulos SIL. Further when I highlight the Geek material and force and change do Doulos SIL there is a visible jump in the layout which makes me think that the secondary fond is not taking over. Any idea what I might have missed?
jannuss
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by jannuss »

[/quote]
Alas that is what is not happening. Gentium Book Basic is the base font for notes. Doulos SIL is the secondary font. Yet when I put the cursor into the Greek text, I find that it still gives the name of the base font, Gentium Book Basic, and not Doulos SIL. Further when I highlight the Geek material and force and change do Doulos SIL there is a visible jump in the layout which makes me think that the secondary fond is not taking over. Any idea what I might have missed?[/quote]

jz, are you sure you have the styles used by footnotes set up correctly?
In Edit Style Sets, make sure your have defined a special character style that reads
script = Greek
font = Doulos SIL
and make sure your footnote style references that special character style

Janet
jzents

Post by jzents »

I will attach an image of the secondary font setup. Well I was going to but could not get the image into the post. But as far as I can tell, my character style is according to what you are saying. I will have to figure out how to post a picture. Thank for your willingness to help!