iOS Mellel and Dropbox?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

austino
New to all this

iOS Mellel and Dropbox?

Post by austino »

Hello,

Has anyone gotten the iOS version of Mellel to work with dropbox? I have the dropbox app installed on my IPad, but when I open Mellel and click on the "new document" icon, I don't have any option to download from Dropbox, even though the manual seems to imply that I should. Instead, I just have options fro "new document" and "icloud drive."
kjmatthews
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: iOS Mellel and Dropbox?

Post by kjmatthews »

No, Mellel for iOS doesn't integrate with Dropbox. Precisely why was explained to me a while back during the beta period, thus:
For some unfathomed reason Dropbox (and apparently google drive) do not provide a full storage provider service to other apps. (The same odd behaviour is exhibited with Pages and other apps too). […] I was able to make it work with Box. I'm guessing both google drive and DropBox will provide this eventually.
I don't know why Dropbox is an option for nearly every other similar 3rd-party app, but not Mellel. But there you go.
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

As far as I can tell, Mellel for iOS should work with Dropbox. I do not have an iPad so I can not try to see if this is the case or not. According to the information at the iTunes website, you should be able to both save and open your documents to and from Dropbox:

iCloud: Turn on iCloud to make your documents automatically available on your Mac:
• Save your documents to iCloud Drive, DropBox, Box, etc. from your iPad or your Mac...
• ... And easily open them from iCloud Drive, DropBox, Box, etc. on your Mac or your iPad
• Save files as PDF from Mellel for iPad
• Send your documents via eMail anywhere
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
vinesy
Read the guide!

Post by vinesy »

AFAIK Dropbox has not implemented the iOS "Document Provider" API, so you can't open, edit, save in apps direct from dropbox in iOS apps (eg. iOS Pages is in the same situation). This is discussed in Dropbox forum: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/API-sup ... /m-p/86761 . This means you can only "round trip" e.g. export from dropbox, edit in Mellel and then export a copy back to dropbox .

There is a separate Dropbox API that apps can implement to get direct editing functionality (I think MS Word iOS does this).

So, I think this means Mellel has to include code which deals with the Dropbox API for easy open-edit-save from Dropbox.
kjmatthews

Post by kjmatthews »

vinesy wrote:There is a separate Dropbox API that apps can implement to get direct editing functionality (I think MS Word iOS does this).

So, I think this means Mellel has to include code which deals with the Dropbox API for easy open-edit-save from Dropbox.
Given how many text-editing apps apparently include this code, I'm certain that the Redlers are up to the task!
pepe
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by pepe »

This is really a major problem for people who did not buy Mellel through the apple store. The cloud saving does not work with the desktop app, and there is no integration with Dropbox, so you have to use clunky workarounds to work with your docs and sync them. This should be improved or makes things much less useful.

Please...
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

pepe wrote:This is really a major problem for people who did not buy Mellel through the apple store. The cloud saving does not work with the desktop app, and there is no integration with Dropbox, so you have to use clunky workarounds to work with your docs and sync them. This should be improved or makes things much less useful.

Please...
You could save your documents manually »Save As…» and chose the iCloud as the place where you want the document to be saved. After that every time you save this specific document, it will be saved to the iCloud folder.
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
pepe
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by pepe »

yes, but when you have hundreds of documents, it is a pain.

Actually you can manually move your documents from the hard drive to a Mellel iCloud folder, and that seems to work. Nor sure yet about the syncing.