Mellel 4 Questions

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

deltanick
Got the styles thing figured out

Mellel 4 Questions

Post by deltanick »

1. Is there a Mellel 4 User Manual? How do I get the help usually offered in a User Manual?

2. Migration Assistant says that it didn’t detect an older version of Mellel, but it was there and all of my older Mellel files are there too. How can I get Migration Assistant/Mellel 4 to recognize my old files?

3. Why can’t I open to a new default page immediately when launching Mellel 4? Mellel 4 now requires a second click to open a blank default page, which is an inefficient step backward. Where can I find or learn this information?

4. The Mellel 4 icon is the ugliest icon I've ever seen. What is it? Suggest a return to the old icon, or a slightly modernized old icon. Also, since my screen and dock are blue, I can hardly see it; it has no visible outline.
joern
Already downloaded the guide

Re: Mellel 4 Questions

Post by joern »

Hello,

1) Under the help menue the third menue provides the manual as pdf.

3) I agree but I already disliked to former one. Wait for 5.0!

Jörn
Stefan Green

Post by Stefan Green »

I suggest that you send a beta report directly to the developers, instead of discussing it here. I don't think we who are beta testers are supposed to talk about Mellel 4 here in the forum until a ready version is released.
/Stefan Green 8)
Timotheus
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Timotheus »

Mellel 4.0 was released yesterday (see macupdate.com).
ymeroz
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by ymeroz »

I did "Check for Updates..." and was given an option to upgrade to 4.0, which I did.
However, the version number in the about box is 4.0.0b81. Does that mean it's a beta and got updated by mistake? There is no official update announcement in the forum, and the blog says it will be released "very soon". There is no official release notes I can find.
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Post by Eyal Redler »

The "b" in 4.0.0b81" stands for "build", the version is the release version of Mellel.
The forum is suffering from some issues lately so we didn't actually post an official message here but we will soon.
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW
macsailor
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by macsailor »

deltanick wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:57 am 4. The Mellel 4 icon is the ugliest icon I've ever seen. What is it? Suggest a return to the old icon, or a slightly modernized old icon. Also, since my screen and dock are blue, I can hardly see it; it has no visible outline.
Maybe they should have used the same icon they are using for the iPad version of Mellel, instead of the new Mellel icon for the Mac version?
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
practik

Post by practik »

deltanick wrote: 3. Why can’t I open to a new default page immediately when launching Mellel 4? Mellel 4 now requires a second click to open a blank default page
Not only that, with Mellel 4, every time I create a new document I get the template browser, even though I have a default template selected in preferences. To me, at least, that's more annoying than having an extra click or keystroke now when I launch Mellel.
4. The Mellel 4 icon is the ugliest icon I've ever seen.
I wouldn't go that far, but I did like the old icon better, and not just for aesthetic reasons. The new icon is bad advertising. A typewriter with just seven keys is broken or a toy; Mellel is neither of those.
deltanick

Post by deltanick »

Oh, it's a typewriter? I thought it was a kiddie monster with 7 round teeth, or one of those text machines for deaf people. It has no discernible outline in my blue dock.
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Post by Eyal Redler »

Regarding new documents using the default template, choose File->New with default (or command+shift+N) to create a new document based on the default template
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW
grebmar

Post by grebmar »

I also really don't like the new icon. It's too cartoony, and like many other icons, blue. I also don't like the new icons for Mellel files. They are blue--exactly the same blue as the icons for Word documents, such that when I have the Finder in list view, I can't tell the difference between them (I still have many legacy Word files and conversions from Mellel in the same folder). The old color scheme was much more distinctive.
practik

Post by practik »

Eyal Redler wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:28 am Regarding new documents using the default template, choose File->New with default (or command+shift+N) to create a new document based on the default template
Ah, "New with Default" – this is a new feature of Mellel 4, I guess? Thanks for the tip!
grebmar wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:57 pm The old color scheme was much more distinctive.
Yep, this is another problematic aspect. Makes it harder to pick the right app from the app switcher when I have Mellel and Word open at the same time – and if I have Skype and/or Photoshop running too, forget about it. Thank goodness I don't use Safari :-)