Mellel 4 sidebar/zoom bug plus suggestion

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

practik
Got the styles thing figured out

Mellel 4 sidebar/zoom bug plus suggestion

Post by practik »

I've noticed an unexpected behavior that I think I can definitely call a bug:
  • Open a document in either Mellel view or compact view but not in full-screen mode.
  • Set the zoom level to Fit Width.
  • Click on one side of the document window to resize it and drag until the window is fairly narrow – no more than 760 pixels wide. (This is easy for me to estimate at my normal screen resolution of 1440 x 900, where it’s a bit more than half the screen width; at other resolutions you may have to experiment a bit more – or just err on the side of a narrower window.)
  • Open the Outline sidebar and click on either Story or Index at the top of the sidebar. The document will shrink so that its width fits in the space not taken up by the sidebar.
  • Close the sidebar. The document should expand so that its width fills the entire window again. Or maybe it shouldn’t have shrunk in the first place – I notice that it doesn’t shrink if you open the Story or Index sidebars directly from the View menu. In any case, the document stays shrunk until you either change the zoom level or open and close the Annotations pane.
The same bug also manifests if the zoom level is set to Fit Page.

Speaking of the sidebar, a small suggestion: In the View menu, the three sidebar options are listed as Outline, Index and Story, in that order, but the tabs at the top of the sidebar are arranged differently: Outline, Story, and Index, reading from left to right. The order should be the same in both places.

These are both pretty minor complaints though; the transition to Mellel 4 has gone very smoothly for me. Thanks, Redlers!
deltanick

Re: Mellel 4 sidebar/zoom bug plus suggestion

Post by deltanick »

"Save As Template ..." will not save as "Fit Page." And it defaults to 128%. Another potential bug.
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Post by Eyal Redler »

Thanks for the reports. It is best if you report directly to us. Simply choose Help->Support and let us know about the issues. It is the best way to make sure we notice the issue.

for practik

Regarding the Fit width/page issue - this is indeed a bug. We will fix it ASAP

Regarding the order of the items in the View menu, again, a bug (a vestige of a past design where the order reflected the order in which we implemented the features). Will be fix.

Regarding the smoothness of transition. This is the way we like it! Thanks.

for deltanick

The zoom setting in Mellel's preferences overrides any setting you make in the template. If fit page is what you like then go to Mellel->Preferences/Document Setup and choose "Fit Page" in the Default zoom popup menu. BTW, this is not a new thing with Mellel 4.0, it existed before. The only change we made in this regard in Mellel 4.0 is that the factory setting for the default zoom was changed to from 100% (which was the setting since the dawn of time) to 128% (which is the best)
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW
practik

Post by practik »

Eyal Redler wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:26 pm It is best if you report directly to us. Simply choose Help->Support and let us know about the issues.
OK, will do, if I ever find another bug. Considering that this is the first one I've encountered in six years of using Mellel, that might take a while :-)