auto titles numbering

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

ClioBrNl
Got the styles thing figured out

auto titles numbering

Post by ClioBrNl »

Hello All,

I searched the forum to see if anyone had the same problem, to no avail.

I am facing some problems to finish editing my phd dissertation. First of them, Acknowledgements, lIst of abbreviations, introduction, conclusion and appendices do not have numbers. Yet, I can not find a way of creating an auto title without numbering. And yes, I already watched the videos on auto titles and they did not help me.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Lucia
ealvarez
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: auto titles numbering

Post by ealvarez »

Hi,

I do not have numbering to my auto-titles. I just edited them (you can use the floating palette).
joseph_anton

Post by joseph_anton »

Hi Lucia - I have dealt with the same question. The way to resolve it is through the "Auto-Title" palette.

Basically, you need to set up your chapters so that they are numbered (by using the "Curr#" element) and then create new title flows above and below them in the hierarchy that do not include this element and are unnumbered.
ClioBrNl

Post by ClioBrNl »

Hi Joseph-Anthon,

That is what I am trying to do, but then... when I make a TOC the configuration is completely different and I have to make it actually by hand!

I thought about removing numbering from the Titles and make haeading and subheadings like 1. 2., but my supervisors said it has to be 1.1 or something the like!

So I am still struggling!

Thank you!

Lucia
joseph_anton

Post by joseph_anton »

Maybe this will help: if you are looking at the Auto-Title palette and editing Title Flows, did you see that there is a "TOC format" area that needs to be set up separately?
ClioBrNl

Post by ClioBrNl »

No, I am trying to find that page so that I can style the TOC.... thanks!
joseph_anton

Post by joseph_anton »

The styling of the Table of Contents is done from the Auto-Title / Title Flows area. Once you have clicked "Edit Title Flows" a window opens up showing you the hierarchical structure of your document. Each level in the hierarchy has several different formats associated with it - the one you want is "TOC format".
ClioBrNl

Post by ClioBrNl »

Hello,

Thank you for the replies. I am very, extremely disappointed with Mellel. I simply can not find a way of removing numbering from Introduction, conclusion and bibliography. Tried hard, to no avail.

Followed your tips, followed the videos (watched them now like 5 times!) and still it is not working!!!!!

When I tried to export as Word format to edit there (to my despair!!!) something like 2000 words disappear from my manuscript!

I am about to give up, and learn an editing software just to edit my dissertation. I guess I can not get more frustrated than that!

Thank you for reading this!
Lucia :cry: :cry: :cry:
joseph_anton

Post by joseph_anton »

Sorry to hear you are still having trouble! I am working on a document with similar requirements (chapters are numbered, other matter is not). Although setting up the auto-titles was a little tricky, it worked out for me in the end.

I still suspect that the issue you are experiencing has to do with the Title Flows (see earlier posts).
ClioBrNl

Post by ClioBrNl »

I tried to create a different auto title flow, specially for this requirement, but I do not seem to make it work. Actually, I made a complete mess of my document with different auto title flows!

Maybe one of the developers will see this and give me some tips!

Cheers,
Lucia
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

Hello ClioBrNl,

Your posts are not quite clear. In the first post it seems you want to have Acknowledgements, list of abbreviations, introduction, conclusion and appendices WITHOUT any numbers, but Mellel stubbornly adds numbers to them, although you don't want it. Is that correct?
Then in another post you say: "I thought about removing numbering from the Titles and make haeading and subheadings like 1. 2., but my supervisors said it has to be 1.1 or something the like!"

So it seems you want to use a Decimal Outline system for all the headings (except the first mentioned.) Is that correct?
See what I mean by Decimal Outline here, at the bottom:
https://owl.english.purdue.edu/media/pd ... 48_544.pdf

If you want to use the decimal system, then there is already an Auto-Title setup available for that in Mellel. It's called "Legal." Just open the drop-down setup menu in the Auto-Title pane (it's at the bottom of the pane.)

You also said: "when I make a TOC the configuration is completely different and I have to make it actually by hand!"

If you open the Auto-Title pane (by clicking on the pencil) you'll see 5 taps (Format, TOC format, Mention format, Outline format, Ref Format.) Remember, each of those formats can be formatted INDIVIDUALLY, or perhaps I should rather say: needs to be formatted individually to make the document look like we want.

If you want to use the Legal Auto-Title setup, you need to tweak it, and don't forget to save it then as a *new*, separate (i.e. your own) setup.

As soon as you change to the Legal Auto-Title setup, the headings should change. But it's also possible that you have to select a heading in the document and then toggle the Auto-Title level to let the correct format kick in. What I mean is, if you have Level 1, then double click on Level 2 and back again on Level 1. This happened just now with a document I was testing.
I am about to give up, and learn an editing software just to edit my dissertation. I guess I can not get more frustrated than that!

Did you write your dissertation in Mellel?

If you want to get a better and more efficient help, then upload screenshots so we can see how you configured the Auto-Title settings. If I were you, I would take a few pages that contain headings out of the dissertation, scramble the text (which makes the text unreadable but preserves the format), and then upload those pages too. We can then take a look at it and format the Auto-Titles for you.
ClioBrNl

Post by ClioBrNl »

Hello Icelander,

Thank you for your reply,

I made some screenshots but I do not know how to upload them here.

Thank you for trying to help me. I appreciate it a lot!

Regards,
Lucia
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

ClioBrNl wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:55 pmI made some screenshots but I do not know how to upload them here.
You can not upload screenshots here. Use one of the many free file sharing web services for this purpose.
MediaFire, for example, gives you 10 GB free space. I use it when I share files with members of this forum.

https://www.mediafire.com/#6vdw7ctjw6lgp
ClioBrNl

Post by ClioBrNl »

Hello,

Maybe this will work, the screenshots are in my Dropbox.
http://bit.ly/2AoFALZ TOC as it is now!
http://bit.ly/2jgxCt1 TOC for auto titles
http://bit.ly/2hSYsLe TOC for auto titles 2.

I wrote the dissertation with Mellel.
Acknowledgements, list of abbreviations, introduction, conclusion and bibliography do not have numbers.
The introduction has headings, like sources, methodology.

Thank you!
Lucia
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

ClioBrNl wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:00 pmthe screenshots are in my Dropbox.
I'm sorry ClioBrNl, I can only see the first screenshot.

Dropbox tells me that "Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 14…" doesn't exist.
You need to tell Dropbox to *share* those links, like you seem to have done with the first one, so that everyone can view them. Now obviously only the first one is shared.

P.S.
I personally don't use Dropbox because of the long list of privacy and security concerns; and why should I choose 2 GB when MediaFire gives me 10 GB for free? Just a thought…