How do I make Document Styles global?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Icelander
Knows everything, can prove it

How do I make Document Styles global?

Post by Icelander »

I have a global Style Set with a paragraph style in it called "Body." Now I select some paragraphs in a document and use the Paragraph styles palette to assign the style to the selection.

The style is ticked in the palette, as expected. So far, so good. If I then open the current Style Set (Styles > Edit style sets…) and click on the Save button, the paragraphs I previously selected are no longer having the "Body" style, but are instead having a black diamond "◆Body" style, which seems to suggest that a new Document Style has kicked in and that this style is only available in the current document and is not part of the current style set anymore (cf. p. 138 Mellel Guide.) As far as I can see, both styles have the same attributes, so this really does not make any sense to me.

Is this normal? Why are identical Document Styles being created every time I save the current Style Set and why do they override the styles I want to use from the current Style Set?

I always end up with having a LARGE sum of Document Styles, which all seem to have identical attributes to the original paragraph styles in the Style Set.
legaltalks
Got the styles thing figured out

Re: How do I make Document Styles global?

Post by legaltalks »

Hello.
I'm not sure if I understood your points, but try to click on the button below a hand sign in the palette. That button says "Save changes to style" by hovering.
Icelander
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: How do I make Document Styles global?

Post by Icelander »

legaltalks wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:45 am I'm not sure if I understood your points, but try to click on the button below a hand sign in the palette.
Thank you, legaltalks, for responding.
In the meantime I think I have largely resolved the problem. The document was imported from another application and contained many different styles. I think I know how to handle that now. I have moved on. If I encounter the same problem again, I'll try to give a better description next time.

Thanks again.