When to use Character Style Variations?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Icelander
Knows everything, can prove it

When to use Character Style Variations?

Post by Icelander »

Sometimes I need to write commonly known book titles without referring to any specific edition. I want to write the title in italic. Example: Charles Dickens wrote Oliver Twist before he wrote Great Expectations.

Now, I can think of at least three ways to italicize the title.

1. Use a Character Style Variation (Italic)
2. Create a Character Style and call it, for example, "Book italic"
3. Just select the book title and hit Command+i

Which way is the best—from Mellel's point of view? Are there any specific implications involved in this that may become important later and that I should be aware of? Or does it not really matter how this is done?
macsailor

Re: When to use Character Style Variations?

Post by macsailor »

It depends on how you are used to work and also if you are having any plans in the future regarding being able to quickly change the font and/or the Character Style Variation and only want to effect these changes to your book titles.

If I look on your list of ways to implement the italicisation of the book titles in your text, I would personally prefer it in the following order:

1. Create a Character Style called »Book Italic»
2. Use the Character Style Variation (Italic)
3. Just select the book title and hit Cmd+i

The reason for this is mainly that you will have more control over the look of your text. You will be able to quickly change the font and/or the style without having the change effecting other words in your text. Maybe you later want to use small capitals instead of italics, if you go according my number one, you could make the change quickly and painless.
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
Icelander

Re: When to use Character Style Variations?

Post by Icelander »

Maybe you later want to use small capitals instead of italics, if you go according my number one, you could make the change quickly and painless.
Yes, I want to keep all options on the table and be able to change the formatting later, if necessary. I was thinking in the same direction as you, but was afraid I might be overlooking something important.

I will follow your advice.

Thank you Peter.