How to cross-reference bookmarked text?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Icelander
Knows everything, can prove it

How to cross-reference bookmarked text?

Post by Icelander »

While trying to cross-reference bookmarked text, I noticed that there is no such option directly available in Mellel. I resorted to pasting bookmarked text into the format area for cross references, but that is rather cumbersome.

Is this presently the preferred method of doing this in Mellel?

P.S.
It would also be nice if one could refer to line and paragraph numbers. This can be necessary when analysing poems and short stories, for example.
Last edited by Icelander on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ealvarez

Re: How to cross-reference bookmarked text?

Post by ealvarez »

Not sure that I understand well, as we can cross-reference bookmarks (p. 77 of the manual). It works well.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

Thank you ealvarez for your reply.
Not sure that I understand well, as we can cross-reference bookmarks (p. 77 of the manual)
But how do you let the bookmarked text appear in the cross reference? I want to display the actual text I marked as cross reference (like you can do in Nisus and MS Word.)

In comparison, this can be already done with the text of Auto-Titles by inserting a bubble element called "Auto-title title" into the Edit Reference pane, but I can't find anything similar for bookmarked text. See screenshot here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/9wn5wg68n ... d_text.png

In case you ask why we would want to cross-reference bookmarked text, here is an explanation.

Assume we have text like this on page 4:

Alþjóðaflutningaverkamannasambandið, bla bla bla bla bla bla
bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla
bla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla

If we will be talking about Alþjóðaflutningaverkamannasambandið later in the document, it's of great benefit to the user being able to bookmark the text on p. 4 so that he or she can cross-reference it, for example, on p. 55. The text itself (= Alþjóðaflutningaverkamannasambandið), i.e. just the text without page number, would then appear on p. 55. This would save the user the trouble of having to type Alþjóðaflutningaverkamannasambandið again or having to copy and paste it.

Is this more clear now?
ealvarez

Post by ealvarez »

Yes, I understand better. But it doesn't look as Mellel can do it directly. Maybe the workaround is to mark all the text as a special auto-title or as a special tag.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

Maybe the workaround is to mark all the text as a special auto-title or as a special tag.
This gave me an idea. I created a special tag flow for this, and it works!

Thank you very much for your help.
ealvarez

Post by ealvarez »

8)