Unable to delete styles

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

shades
Knows everything, can prove it

Unable to delete styles

Post by shades »

No matter what template I load, there are always styles associated with it that have the • in front of the name (see http://www.mediafire.com/file/p7nqs7ad9 ... Styles.png).

Yet, when I try to edit the template, and select one of those styles, the delete button is grayed out, meaning I can't delete it. I have tried several templates, same situation.

Any help in deleting those items?
Rich
old, slow, and confused...but at least I’m inconsistent!

iMac 27" (10. 13. 8 ) and MBP 13" Retina (10. 13. 8 )
joseph_anton

Re: Unable to delete styles

Post by joseph_anton »

I was also curious about this. On p. 138 of the manual there is the following explanation:

"If the style is not part of the current style set and is only available in the current document (these styles are referred to as Document Styles), it is marked by a black diamond."

My understanding is that these will disappear if all the text in the document follows the defined styles. I think that this can be achieved either going through the document manually to identify the areas where the formatting is inconsistent and applying a style to them, or globally by using the File ==> Replace Styles tool (see p. 142 of manual).
shades

Post by shades »

Thanks. Have tried it both ways. While I used File > Replace Styles, and assigned each paragraph with the correct style. The • marked styles are still in the palette.

Unfortunately that does not resolve the template file either, which is cluttered with 10-15 styles marked this way (for character and for paragraph styles): • Regular

Frustrating since I have used Mellel for about 15 years and have never had this problem.
Rich
old, slow, and confused...but at least I’m inconsistent!

iMac 27" (10. 13. 8 ) and MBP 13" Retina (10. 13. 8 )
Moises Zumaeta
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by Moises Zumaeta »

I just noticed the same problem! I did not have this issue before the last update. So, I am guessing it is a bug. We should perhaps write to Ori or Abner. There should be an easy fix to the bug.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

I already wrote about this a while ago in the thread "How do I make Document Styles global?", albeit from a slightly different perspective.
shades wrote: No matter what template I load, there are always styles associated with it that have the ◆ in front of the name
You must be talking about your custom templates, because the default templates that come with Mellel are pristine and they don't have any styles with a black diamond. These templates cannot be changed. However, one can save them as custom templates, and then they can be changed.

[1] If your custom templates contain styles with diamonds now, then I would clean them up and save them again under the same name.

[2] If you open a template (regardless whether a default or a custom template) and *paste* text from another application into it, it will invariably accumulate a number of new diamond styles.

[3] Like Joseph Anton already said, the easiest way to get rid of them is to assign the pasted text another style that doesn't have a diamond, for example your Body style, or use Replace Styles from the File menu.

when I try to edit the template, and select one of those styles, the delete button is grayed out, meaning I can't delete it.
The logic is this: since a part of the document has one of those styles (be it as tiny part as a space, a Return, one character, or whatever), you can't simply *delete* the style. However, you can *replace* it with another style that doesn't have a diamond.
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Post by Eyal Redler »

Hi,
Please see here for some clarifications of this issue: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3475#p18839
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW
Amontillado

Post by Amontillado »

I read the associated posting, but I think what I see is a little different. I highly suspect I'm overlooking something really elementary.

When I opened the default document on Mellel startup, I created a new style set. My plan is to make style sets for a couple of different critique groups I've joined, plus a style set for what I'd like to see while composing.

Anyway, I made a new style set called "Novel." Now, any default template I open shows the Novel style set. It appears directly below "style sets" in the Styles pulldown menu. It does not have a diamond beside it.

If I go into the "edit style sets" feature, I can't delete Novel.

Am I seeing something along the order of recently defined styles, or did I add Novel to the Mellel system?

Also, where are style sets stored? My guess is there can be a copy somewhere in Mellel in the case of a global style set, and otherwise all style sets are stored in each document.

Based on that assumption, I'm guessing the way to get a style set to another computer is to copy a document containing the style set to the new system - but I'm not sure of the details.

How does one carry a style set from one machine to another?

If a style set is no longer needed, what's the process to delete it?
Amontillado

Post by Amontillado »

A little more info - if I add one style set, I can't delete it.

If I add a second style set, I can delete either one, but not both.

Still looking for a solution for how to port a style set from one computer to another.