Switching to Greek and Hebrew

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

shades
Knows everything, can prove it

Switching to Greek and Hebrew

Post by shades »

I have set up Body style using Libertine and the eight variations.

However, the Base is English, the Greek (Doulos SIL font) and Hebrew (Ezra SIL font) do not switch to those fonts. I have set the language to Greek for F7 and Hebrew for F8. It shows on the screen when I hit those that it is correctly selected, but the font never changes, only showing English font/text.

The attachment shows my set up. It has always worked in versions prior to Mellel 4. Now I can't get it to work, and need to do so. Am I missing something?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/id9lrkfal ... _Style.png
Rich
old, slow, and confused...but at least I’m inconsistent!

iMac 27" (10. 13. 8 ) and MBP 13" Retina (10. 13. 8 )
jannuss

Re: Switching to Greek and Hebrew

Post by jannuss »

Shades,

running Mellel4.0.3b6 with Mac OS 13.2

I haven't managed to duplical your problem.
I don't have Libertine fonts, but I switch between languages in Mellel easily using any number of fonts and the keyboard shortcut cmd-space.

So, I suspect the problem is in defining the function keys.
How did you define them?
Did they work correctly with previous versions of Mellel/Mos OS?

Janet
shades

Post by shades »

Thanks for responding. I had injured myself quite badly 5 months ago and had not used Mellel at all until recently,
and I have just begun using it in earnest.

I had no problem with fonts (Libertine included) with previous versions of Mellel, nor with switching languages. I am using the same function keys that had worked previously (Mellel 3.x).

Mellel 4.03b6

MacOS 10.12.6
Rich
old, slow, and confused...but at least I’m inconsistent!

iMac 27" (10. 13. 8 ) and MBP 13" Retina (10. 13. 8 )
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

Maybe this is a Sierra/High Sierra thing -- Mellel 4 should work the same with both, but .....

I never user function keys.
Explain to be how you set them up and I'll try to run a test.

Janet
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

shades wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:13 am the Base is English, the Greek (Doulos SIL font) and Hebrew (Ezra SIL font) do not switch to those fonts.
Yes, I can reproduce the problem.
I'm using Mellel 4.0.2 and Sierra, i.e. macOS 10.12.3.

The secondary font change actually does take place, but it's just not visibly reflected in the Character Attributes pane. No matter whether the insertion point is in the English text or in the Greek text, the font is always displayed as Linux Libertine in the pane. However, if you copy the document text in Mellel and paste it into Nisus, you'll see that the Greek text has indeed the font you intended it to be. To me this looks like a bug in Mellel.

There is another, similar bug-like behavior in the Auto-Title pane which sometimes drives me crazy. If you create an Auto-Title, it's not ticked in the pane, so it can be hard to find out later to which level or heading the Auto-Title actually belongs. The harm can be reduced if one connects an Auto-Title to a specific paragraph style, because, unlike Auto-Titles, both Paragraph Styles and Character Styles are ticked.

Here is a screenshot that shows the problem:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/lx2avoa9c ... le_bug.png