export outline / auto-titles to Microsoft Word document

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

bpkantor
Got the styles thing figured out

export outline / auto-titles to Microsoft Word document

Post by bpkantor »

When I export my Mellel document, which has a whole system of auto-titles in the outline, to a Microsoft Word document, it does not retain all the titles in the navigation.

Is there a way I can export it (to Word, not PDF or something) and retain the auto-titles?
Bulow
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: export outline / auto-titles to Microsoft Word document

Post by Bulow »

I have just tried to export, via RTF, to LibreOffice (a clone, I don't have Word) and to Nisus Writer Pro and you are right, no outline is shown. But does this brilliant feature exist in Word? Or is Auto-Titles one of several reasons why we use Mellel and not something else?

- I have just tried with a 'real' Word on another machine, and the export works a lot better than with Libre Office, but still no Auto-titles or anything like.
Icelander
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: export outline / auto-titles to Microsoft Word document

Post by Icelander »

Tested in MS Word v. 15.41 (Word 2016). Mellel document exported as RTF. All Auto-titles correctly imported into Word, also colored Auto-titles. The auto-titles from Mellel carry the attribute "Normal", therefore the original levels in Mellel don't appear indented in Word's Navigator. All my auto-titles appeared in the Navigator as a flat, clickable list.
In order to indent them correctly in Word's Navigator, one would have to redefine them as headings.

You talk about "a whole system of auto-titles." I don't know how your Auto-titles look like. Is there anything particularly 'exotic' in there? How many levels do you have? I only tested 3 levels.