Pages files, how to open with/transfer to Mellel?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Senryu
Got the styles thing figured out

Pages files, how to open with/transfer to Mellel?

Post by Senryu »

I have been using Pages on Mac OS, with Endnote. Thinking of buying Mellel.
I have several Pages documents I want to continue working on with Mellel. How to open them with Mellel?

I have tried exporting the files as:
-rtf file
-docx file

Neither of them opened properly in Mellel. The footnotes were trashed - one had them all at the end of the document. I can't remember what error the other one gave.
So, what is the proper method?

Thanks!
Gustave
Got the auto-title mojo working

Re: Pages files, how to open with/transfer to Mellel?

Post by Gustave »

Hello,

You can try to install Mellel Beta 4.1.
The import of DOCX is now managed even if there are still bugs.

https://www.mellel.com/welcome-mellel-4-1-beta/
Senryu

Post by Senryu »

Thanks Gustave. I tried, and it said:
If your request is approved, we will send you an invitation when the beta officially opens, with a link where you’ll be able to read all about the new beta and download it.
When is the beta due to be released?

Also, since Pages is the default word processor on Mac, I am assuming that this is a very common question. This forum actually does not allow a search for the term 'Pages'. How have people been opening Pages documents with Mellel until now? Is there no procedure?
Bulow
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Bulow »

You seem to have found a real problem. I opened a file that I had received in Pages, with b****** endnotes, exported it in rtf and imported it into Mellel. Note-llnks were broken, but otherwise it worked well. I then tried to transform the endnotes into footnotes in Pages (appears to be possible in Pages, but not in Mellel), and exported to rtf and imported into Mellel. But the endnotes stayed at the end and the links were still broken. A sign that something is wrong is that if you open the exported (from Pages) rtf in TextEdit the notes are still there with references and all, when they should normally disappear. They do not work as notes of course, but the text is there.
I think we have to conclude that there is something wrong in the relationship between Pages and rtf.
As if there weren't enough problems!
Bülow
Senryu

Post by Senryu »

Mellel is only for Mac isn't it? It seems so strange to not make Mellel such that it can open files from Mac's default word processor, even when exported to special files for the task. I surely cannot be the only one who would want to do this...

And it makes no sense for me that the forum does not allow searches for the term 'Pages' when obviously many people coming to Mellel or interested in Mellel will be coming from Pages. How am I meant to find threads where this problem has been encountered, and perhaps someone has found a way to transfer Pages files to Mellel? This is what I get when I try to search:
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: pages.
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Post by Eyal Redler »

Regarding importing Pages files. Pages is a popular word-processor from apple but that doesn't make its file open for importing without some reverese-engineering. With Mellel 4.1 (comming in a matter of days) you will be able to open docx files exported from pages.
Regarding not being able to look for "pages" this is a limitation of the forum software we use and not something specifically targeted agains Apple Pages.
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW
Senryu

Post by Senryu »

Eyal Redler wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:29 am Regarding importing Pages files. Pages is a popular word-processor from apple but that doesn't make its file open for importing without some reverese-engineering. With Mellel 4.1 (comming in a matter of days) you will be able to open docx files exported from pages.
Regarding not being able to look for "pages" this is a limitation of the forum software we use and not something specifically targeted agains Apple Pages.
Any word on how many more days? I did sign up for it but have not received anything yet.