Mellel 4.1: Disable "Welcome to Mellel" Panel at startup

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Marsilius
Already downloaded the guide

Mellel 4.1: Disable "Welcome to Mellel" Panel at startup

Post by Marsilius »

I am feeling dumb, since I cannot find this and know that the answer will be obvious, but:
How does one hide or disable the "Welcome to Mellel" Panel in Mellel 4.1 at startup? I would like to be able to choose either to open with an empty screen or a default document. Is that possible?
Thanks!
DavidH
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Mellel 4.1: Disable "Welcome to Mellel" Panel at startup

Post by DavidH »

I don’t think so. Here’s my understanding.

If there were documents open when you last quit Mellel, Mellel restores them and doesn’t give you the Welcome box. But there seems to have been a deliberate design decision to make Welcome open on startup, giving you easy access to both your templates and your recents, whenever there aren’t previously open documents to reopen. I don’t think you can turn it off.

You can bypass it, however, in that Command-N or File > New will take you to the template chooser and Open > Recent to any of your recent documents, without your having to touch the Welcome box first. Once you do either of these things the box goes away of its own accord.

The template chooser works similarly: it always shows up when you ask for a new document but it needn’t be used. In particular, Command-N followed by return gives you a new document with the default template you can set in the Open and Save Preference panel. Command-N followed by one or more hits on the right arrow followed by return gives you access to other templates without clicking in the template chooser first. Once you do either of these things, the template chooser goes away of its own accord.

If you always want to start work on the same doc whenever Mellel opens, you can simply leave it open when you quit.
Marsilius
Already downloaded the guide

Re: Mellel 4.1: Disable "Welcome to Mellel" Panel at startup

Post by Marsilius »

Thank you. Your useful suggestion makes sense. I suppose another workaround would be just to have a document somewhere handy (NOT with the other 300 files one should not leave on their desktop) you are working on to click on directly, this opening the program.