Working on the iPad vs. the Mac

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

joseph_anton
Knows everything, can prove it

Working on the iPad vs. the Mac

Post by joseph_anton »

I do almost all of my writing on a MacBook Air using Mellel and Bookends in combination with research tools such as DevonThink. The MacBook Air is light and compact enough to be reasonably convenient bringing it to libraries and elsewhere. The battery life is also good enough to be able to get through an entire day without a recharge, meaning that there is no need to bring along bulky power adapters. It's a setup that is working pretty well for me, but it struck me that there may also be a case to be made for using an iPad for situations like writing in libraries.

The iPad is obviously lighter than a MacBook Air and now has pretty full-featured versions of all the major pieces of software I use available for it, including Mellel. I wonder if any other users of Mellel are using the iPad version to get serious writing done? Is so, what does your setup look like? Does it make much of a difference whether you have an iPad Pro? Are any of the combined keyboard and cases good enough for extensive writing, or do you bring along a regular Bluetooth keyboard?
ealvarez

Re: Working on the iPad vs. the Mac

Post by ealvarez »

My iPad (2!) is a companion for my iMac. So, it was clear from the start I’ll do most of my writing on the latter. They really work great together (and with iCloud).

I might consider writing with Mellel with an iPad as a main tool with the iPad Pro 12". But I do not intend to buy it. So, even though I should upgrade one day to an iPad Pro 10.5”, it will probably stay a “companion”.
joseph_anton

Post by joseph_anton »

Thanks, ealvarez, for these comments. I wandered into my local Apple Store over the weekend and had a look at the iPad Pro with keyboard built into the case. I could imagine getting some serious work done in split screen mode on one of those.
ealvarez

Post by ealvarez »

Mellel on iPad is very good and the new iPads are very powerful. So, no doubt you can do serious work with both!