Massive problems with saving

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

jif
Got the styles thing figured out

Massive problems with saving

Post by jif »

Hi again, all,

I posted a couple of weeks ago about spell checking not working. At the time, I noted that I had been having problems with Mellel version 3.whatever. Anyway, I upgraded to the latest version of Mellel 4. However, I am still having big problems with Mellel and saving documents.

In version 3, multiple times a day, I had been encountering an error message that told me that discordant copies of the document had been created. I was asked to choose one or attempt to reconcile them, or something like that. Since upgrading, that specific problem has gone away.

However, I now have two new problems. First, once in a while I am getting an error message that says, "This document's file has been changed by another application since you opened or saved it. The changes made by the application will be lost if you save. Save anyway?" And I have a choice between "Save" and "Don't Save." Also, sometimes I will get an error message that lets me know that saves are out of sync and I have the option of reverting to a last saved copy, or something like that.

What other application could be making changes to my document? Why am I having so much trouble saving? I have turned off autosave at this point, because I thought it was possibly contributing to the problem.

The document I'm currently working in is about 25,000 words. I sometimes make small changes to sections that are tens of pages apart. It's hard to keep track of all the changes I've made in the last few minutes and go back and repeat them when a problem like the ones I've described occurred. I love Mellel. It is by far my favorite word processor that I've ever used, but this unreliability is becoming a deal breaker.

Thanks for any and all help,
Jeff
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Re: Massive problems with saving

Post by Eyal Redler »

Hi Jeff,

First, for such serious problems the right place to go is our support which is both free and the probably the most knowledgeable about Mellel. Contacting our support is easy, choose Help->Support and fill the form. We usually respond within less then 24 hours.

Regarding the issue you're having, this sounds a lot like iCloud problems. For some reason iCloud keeps updating the document and these updates conflict with the changes you're making via Mellel. I'm afraid that while iCloud works quite well most of the time, when it fails, it is quite hard to troubleshoot and fix.
I suggest the following:
1. Move the document out of iCloud, put it on your desktop and see if the issues persist.
2. (Once iCloud issues have been established). Turn off iCloud on your Mac, and then turn it back on, move the document (preferably a copy) to the iCloud folder and see if the issue is resolved.
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW
jif

Post by jif »

Thanks so much, Eyal, for the quick response. I will try your suggestion.
jif

Post by jif »

And my apologies. I've been really freaking out over the last couple weeks as I kept losing changes. Thanks again!