New User Looking for Simple Template

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

wstaylor711
New to all this

New User Looking for Simple Template

Post by wstaylor711 »

As a new user I was hoping to find a simple template to learn from. I've tried importing some Word->RTF files but the conversion leaves some elements unmodifiable and it can be very frustrating to learn by comparison.

My goal is to publish a paper that has a single column text, Title section, Abstract, Text Body, Heading sections, w/footnote's. Destination of publication is Academia.edu.
Any kindly disposed souls who like to help a neophyte out?
Bulow
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: New User Looking for Simple Template

Post by Bulow »

May I suggest the excellent tutorials furnished by Mellel? At the top of the page you are looking at there is an entrance called 'learn'. That would be a good place to start.
Good luck
ealvarez

Post by ealvarez »

There are already some templates that come with Mellel. Have you tried them?

To go further, you can start with the Mellel Youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjVTU3 ... sL_QTJAyEw). It was very helpful for me.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

Hello wstaylor711,
wstaylor711 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:07 amI've tried importing some Word->RTF files but the conversion leaves some elements unmodifiable
Just curious, what elements turn out to be unmodifiable in Mellel?

Judging from what you wrote, your goal can be achieved with any word processor; so why do you want to use Mellel? I'm not saying you shouldn't, but it may help to know something about your expectations and workflow.
wstaylor711
New to all this

Post by wstaylor711 »

Thanks for your replies. To the specific query by Icelander:

//"Just curious, what elements turn out to be unmodifiable in Mellel?"//

The footnotes number font character was unmodifiable. The orginal document had the footnote numbers in superscript.

After posting I started doing some comparisons between Word's formats and Mellel and mades some discoveries that proved helpful. So much so that I intended to delete this request. But after seeing the responses, some of which seemed genuinely helpful, I decided to take their advice.

In the final analysis, Word or Mellel, are just tools to help get the important stuff done. I'll accumulate skill in Mellel as I go.

Thanks again!
joseph_anton

Post by joseph_anton »

How about looking at the Mellel guide itself in .mellel format: https://www.mellel.com/downloadother/#MellelGuide
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

To the specific query by Icelander
Well, actually there were two queries…. : -)

The footnotes number font character was unmodifiable. The orginal document had the footnote numbers in superscript.
This can be easily modified. You just need to go to Insert menu –> Note –> Edit note attributes… and adjust the settings. — Mellel uses your default template (Mellel Preferences –> Open & Save) to import RTF, and each template has or can have its own note settings to match exactly the imported original. Let me also mention en passant that if you had opened the file in .docx format, you would have got all the footnotes correctly imported without having to change anything.
In the final analysis, Word or Mellel, are just tools to help get the important stuff done.
No, I strongly disagree. This is like saying: bicycle, train or airplane… Who cares? It's all the same: just things used for transporting people or goods from one place to another. No, it isn't. That's the reason I asked you in the first place.
Mellel has interesting features that Word doesn't have, and Mellel lacks features that Nisus Writer Pro has. But it seems you are not interested in this question, so I'll not pursue this matter any further.