Endnotes

For all things Mellel

Moderators: redlers, Eyal Redler, Ori Redler

Chris Price
Got the styles thing figured out

Endnotes

Post by Chris Price » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:30 pm

Hello, all.

My publisher wants me to use endnotes. This was fine until I tried to copy and paste them in between the Appendices and the Bibliography, as they requested.

Does anyone know how to do this? Or how to cut and paste, say, a Bibliography into a position after Notes? Or how to insert a sub-heading ("Chapter 1") in front of the first Note? Subsequent sub-headings are no problem, I've found.

Thanks in advance...

Chris

Icelander
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Endnotes

Post by Icelander » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:37 pm

how to cut and paste […] a Bibliography into a position after Notes?
This seems to indicate that [1] selecting the bibliography, [2] cutting and then [3] pasting the bibliography after the endnotes is somehow difficult. I'm not sure why you say that. This is what I do to get the endnotes between the appendices and the bibliography, and it works fine.
Or how to insert a sub-heading ("Chapter 1") in front of the first Note?
Are you talking about an Auto-title or a paragraph style here? You can't insert an Auto-title while you are in an endnote area. If you want "Chapter 1" to appear in front of the first endnote, then delete the break (which is probably a section break) before the first note, i.e., in order to escape the endnote area, and then insert it either as an Auto-title or write it manually. If you choose the latter option, you can assign it a heading paragraph style to make it stand out. The following Chapter 2, Chapter 3 etc. must be written manually between the single endnotes.

This screenshot demonstrates this in a nutshell.
https://shrtm.nu/U2gA

Chris Price
Got the styles thing figured out

Re: Endnotes

Post by Chris Price » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:47 am

Thanks, Icelander. You have clarified the issue for me: the fact that the endnote area does not permit auto-tiles was the problem, since I had been trying to copy the Bibliography complete with its Auto-Titled heading.

So it seems to me that you can never escape the endnote area AFTER it...

You have, however, set me off on a workaround for both issues, so thank you; much appreciated.

Chris