Bookends: Exclude authors and title parameter

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

joseph_anton
Knows everything, can prove it

Bookends: Exclude authors and title parameter

Post by joseph_anton »

I have noticed that when I generate a citation in Bookends using the "Exclude authors and title parameter [&]," the citation is correctly passed to Mellel (i.e., I can click on the citation and see that it begins with &), but for some reason Mellel is showing authors and title anyway. I wonder if anyone else has run into this issue and knows how to solve it?
Icelander

Re: Bookends: Exclude authors and title parameter

Post by Icelander »

Using &, as described in Bookends User Guide v13.2, p. 255, does not work in Mellel 4. Instead you can use hypen or dash to suppress the author and title.
If your citations are in the MLA style (Author Year), i.e. with no title, you can also use % instead of &.

By the way, if I understand you correctly, it seems you are entering the ampersand into Bookends' *Format Manager* in order to temporally suppress author and title. That's a very unusual approach. Normally, for this purpose one would just edit a citation in Mellel manually by double-clicking on it and then add special characters such as @, &, /, ^, _, % etc. to the citation.
joseph_anton

Post by joseph_anton »

Thank you Icelander, and sorry that I didn't notice your reply sooner! This issue was caused by a bug in one of the versions of Bookends that has since been corrected.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

Thank you for the update on this issue. Much appreciated, Joseph.
lyndondrake
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by lyndondrake »

Suppressing the author using a - doesn't work for me in Mellel (4.1.5r1). The Mellel manual (p. 105) says that a % character should be used, but that doesn't work either. Neither do the Bookends-specific options of & or ^.

Any suggestions?