How to use Story Points in non-fictional documents?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Icelander
Knows everything, can prove it

How to use Story Points in non-fictional documents?

Post by Icelander »

On Oct 02, 2017 ealvarez wrote:‬
I started with Scrivener, but moved to Mellel 4. […] I also really like the new Story pane as it helps me keep in mind some ideas.
Is anybody using Story Points in non-fictional documents? If yes, how exactly do you do it?

Structural Flows and Tag Flows can be displayed simultaneously in the Outline, so it's possible to enter (colored) Tag Flows with Remarks and Tags into the document and thus see at a glance how one idea follows the next one throughout the document. Compared to this approach, Story Points have the disadvantage that they appear in a different pane where you can't see the Structural Flows. [cf. Flow Types on page 35 in the Mellel Guide]

Or perhaps I misunderstood ealvarez. Maybe he/she was referring to fictional text…
ealvarez

Re: How to use Story Points in non-fictional documents?

Post by ealvarez »

I'm "he" : )

For my purpose, it was an essay (250 pages) and I used Story points to remember all the "inserts". On the way my mind works, I preferred to keep them apart from the main outline. I suppose I could have used tags for my purpose, but I already used them as reference for some citations.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

What do you mean by "inserts"? It would be nice if you could describe your method in more detail.

What do you enter into the fields Points, Characters, Locations, Date & Time, Remarks?
ealvarez

Post by ealvarez »

I entered my "inserts" as points.

"Inserts": a special section in a section to further describe a subject; like a very long parenthesis : ) So, it was appropriate to monitor those "subsections" in a separate panel. There is no more to say for my part. It was a limited, but useful use of the Story panel. [welcome!]
Last edited by ealvarez on Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

Thanks ealvarez.