Footnotes in the right margin?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

beck
New to all this

Footnotes in the right margin?

Post by beck »

I am a Mellel newbie, so please forgive if this question is a no brainer.

Can I tell Mellel to put footnotes in the right margin as opposed to the footer?

Here's a mock up of what I'm trying to accomplish. Thanks!

ealvarez
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Footnotes in the right margin?

Post by ealvarez »

Have you tried working with sections? It might be a way to do it.
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

No, sections aren't an answer yo beck's request -- that will happen only once the Redlers implement flow-through [the chief improvement request many of us have for Sections].

Today, sections function only as columns: column 1 on page 1 flows to column 2 on page 1 and then to column 1 on page 2, column 2 on page 2, etc. [for a two-column set-up]

With the flow-through option: column 1 on page 1 flows to column 1 on page 2 while column 2 on page 1 flows to column 2 on page 2, etc.

Janet
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

Hello Beck,
Congratulations! You are the first member who has managed to send a screenshot in this forum! At least yours is the only one I have ever seen. It used to be generally accepted that it was not possible.

I asked a question regarding screenshots two years ago after having tried unsuccessfully to use the "Img" button. Back then I asked: "What's the "Img" button for if it can't be used?" This remained unanswered which seemed to indicate a general agreement on that this was not possible. In the meantime, perhaps the forum software has been improved… :oops:

As to your question, I don't think you can create a note stream and have it appear in the margin. The placement is restricted to: at the bottom of page, below text or end of document.

The idea of having footnotes in the right margin is intriguing. Are there any style guides that require that? Or is this just your own idea? I like it.
beck
New to all this

Post by beck »

Icelander wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:17 pm Congratulations! You are the first member who has managed to send a screenshot in this forum! At least yours is the only one I have ever seen. It used to be generally accepted that it was not possible.
Ahh, well here's how to do it. First, you need to get the image hosted somewhere. This can be your own website, but I went to https://imgur.com/. Once you have a direct url to the image (will end in a .jpg or .gif or .png), then click the image button and paste the URL between the two img tags like so:

Code: Select all

[img]https://media.giphy.com/media/lHoS3eSVSTcIw/giphy.gif[/img]

Icelander wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:17 pm The idea of having footnotes in the right margin is intriguing. Are there any style guides that require that? Or is this just your own idea? I like it.
Yes, just my idea. Well, I saw it in a publication and wanted to replicate it for my own papers. Maybe sometime in the future!

Silly question, but how does one style a text box? If I wanted to do this manually? I can get the text box in a column, but I can't find the right palette for styling it.

Thanks all!
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

Thanks for explaining how to send screenshots in this forum!
beck wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:29 pm how does one style a text box? If I wanted to do this manually?
You can't apply style(s) directly to the text box itself, but you can select the text *in* the text box and then assign style(s) to it .
beck
New to all this

Post by beck »

I went to Mellel to take a screengrab to show the problem I have with the text box (black border around it that I couldn't figure out how to remove), I realized that when you click away from the box and then click on it again a little pencil icon appears below and you can edit it that way (remove the border, change the fill, etc.).