Updated advice on equations and equation numbering

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

laup
Knows everything, can prove it

Updated advice on equations and equation numbering

Post by laup »

It has been some time since these matters were discussed on the Forum. What are the most effective methods people have found for using equations in Mellel, preferably to include automated equation numbering? In the past, I have used MathType and have entered numbers manually (without automation). I have also used tables with blank edges so that equation can be in the left cell and equation number in the right cell, right justified. Rather a lot of work.
Paul
laup

Re: Updated advice on equations and equation numbering

Post by laup »

Responding to my own question, I have tried two methods for entering equations. Both seem acceptable. The first may be more feasible with the new beta's treatment of tables. The latter is what Ori suggested months ago (using autotitles).

Method 1. Insert a table with two columns, one row.
Adjust the cell widths so that the right cell is close to the right margin, leaving the first cell with nearly all of the space. Copy and paste the equation from, e,g, MathType, into the left cell. Enter the equation number into the right cell. The result looks fine. Problem: the numbering is manual, although adjusting the numbering would be quick.

Method 2. Assuming your autotitle setup has some slots to spare, use one of (e.g., the tenth). Name it "Equation Number."

Define this autotitle as a bunch of tabs ( to get over to beside your right margin), followed by "Eq." Current# or "Eq. (" Current#)" where you have to type in everything except Current#, which you choose from the Insert Element menu.

Now, copy and paste your equation into the text from, e.g., MathType, do a carriage return, choose Equation Number from the auto-title menu and, voila. The result looks like

Y=Mx+b
Eq. (1)

where "Eq (1)" will be close to the right margin. Cross referencing works the same was as pointing to a figure or table.

The result looks fine and is automatically numbered. The only negative seems to be that the equation number is on its own line. That seems to me ok.

It appears to me that this is the method Redlers used when preparing the illustrative technical-journal articles that have equations. I notice that they put the equation number in a very small font. Perhaps they also played with the Position variable in the paragraph style used for the equation. In any case, the result looks pretty good. I don't know whether a journal would have grumps.

If someone has a better approach, I'm sure that I and others would be interested.
Paul
laup

Post by laup »

Let me add some important items.

1. Equation and Equation Number on Same Line. The auto-title approach (Method 2 in my previous post) allows for the equation number to be on the same line as the equation. When defining the auto-title for Equation Number, set a tab close to the right margin where you want the equation number to be. Then select "None" from the menu item "Insert Below" toward the top of the window. Your definition will then be Tab followed by "Eq.(" Current Level # ") or something like that. To enter an equation you construct the equation, e.g.., in MathType, copy and paste it into Mellel, and double-click on Equation Number in your list of Auto-Titles. The equation and equation number will then be a single line with the equation number off to the right side as is usual.

2. Editing equations. In MathType, you can set Preferences for Cut and Copy to "PDF" (the bottom option). Quit MathType and reopen to assure that the preference change sticks. Now construct an equation in MathTYpe, copy it, and paste it into Mellel. You can now go backward. You can copy the equation in Mellel, paste it into MathType, and edit the equation. Thus, you don't have to save equations as separate files. I no longer have MathMagic, but it seems from the Mellel guide that the same method works for that. Thus, you can edit equations in Mellel without having to save the equations as separate files.

With these two items, I now consider using equations in Mellel to be an absolute non-problem. The minor conveniences that are missing seen to me insignificant. Word may be a bit easier, but it's no big deal.
Paul
laup

Post by laup »

Having now written a lengthy document using equations, I have two amendments to what I wrote earlier:

1. To get the equation number to be on the same line as the equation pasted in from, e.g., MathType, it may be necessary to adjust the character style for equation number so as to move the baseline up 6 points. Sorry about missing that in my previous posts, but my eyes missed the offset problem. Whether this is necessary may depend on what equation editor you're using and other details.
2. One need not use up one of the ten structural auto-titles for equation numbering. Tag flows are fine, by exact analogy to tag flows for Figures and Tables. I have separate Equation Number tag flows for summary, main text, and appendices, so that equations would be numbered, e.g., Eq. S.3 (third equation the summary), Eq. 5.2 (second equation in Chapter 2), or Eq. A.4 (fourth equation in Appendix A).
Paul