ALLCAPS character attribute does not export to .rtf

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Daniel Geiger
Got the styles thing figured out

ALLCAPS character attribute does not export to .rtf

Post by Daniel Geiger »

The export function in Mellel is seriously deficient. The .doc export makes a hash out of formatting when opened in Word: problems with paragraph formatting, line spacing, font size, font type, figures missing, a complete disaster. .rtf is somewhat better, but ALLCAPS case setting (either with styles or with character formatting) is not coming across. You can try it by exporting something with ALLCAPS to .rft, then opening that file again in Mellel.
I personally don't like all caps because of poor readability, but some journals require it.

I think one problem is the inability to strip all formatting from copy-paste text, or to re-set formatting of styles and attributes if things go south. At least I have not been able to do that in Mellel.
Icelander
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: ALLCAPS character attribute does not export to .rtf

Post by Icelander »

ALLCAPS case setting (either with styles or with character formatting) is not coming across.
Neither All Caps nor Small Caps come across.
laup
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: ALLCAPS character attribute does not export to .rtf

Post by laup »

I just checked with a new manuscript and export to .docx works really well if you
-- export from Mellel to pdf
-- uses the Adobe pdf to Word service, which--except for a trial period--requires a small yearly fee

Examples:
1. Front matter is numbered correctly as i, ii, ....
2. Main text is numbered correctly as 1, 2, ...
3. Pagination is NOT precisely correct, which would cause trouble for page references.
4. Document has correct footnotes, endnotes, and author notes (in red).
5. Tables have correct shading in some columns and row
6. There are one or two odd section breaks in the middle of tables (not visible if one turns off the option to show hidden characters).
7. The title of the appendix, APPENDIX, came through correctly in all capital letters.

So, the translation to Word is not perfect, but it is very closed seems to hit the problem that started this particular thread (all-caps).

I wish that Mellel got the export right because it's essential for me to do exporting to Word, but the Adobe service works. I had mentioned this a year or so ago, but hadn't used it again until today.
Paul