Spotlight Searches and Mellel 2.1

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

kga1978
Read the guide!

Post by kga1978 »

Any news on this? It says on the download page that the plugin works with 2.1, but it still doesn't work for me...
Timotheus
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Timotheus »

Are you sure? In my case with the plug-in that was published yesterday Spotlight finds both the Mellel-documents in the old format and those in the new format.
verma

Post by verma »

Timotheus wrote:Are you sure? In my case with the plug-in that was published yesterday Spotlight finds both the Mellel-documents in the old format and those in the new format.
I'm also beta testing the newest version, but it doesn't work for me. I find 2.0 files but nothing inside 2.1.1.

Spotlight correctly identifies the new Mellel format, it seems (I can look for it using kMDItemContentType).

I'm absolutely at a loss about how and why I can't find anything, but I'm confident Ori and Eyal will find a solution.

There is a temporary way out of the problem: tag your new Mellel files !
Terrarch
New to all this

Post by Terrarch »

I am having exactly the same problem on my Intel iMac. The tags thing works though- thanks for the tip!
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

I'm using a Pismo PowerBook and I can find whatever I'm looking for in both the old and the new Mellel format with the help of the new SpotlightPlugin.

At first the new plugin did not install itself properly, but with the help of the Redlers we found out that the culprit was the old plugin that was still active. After I removed the old plugin (think it was dated May last year) and then reinstalled the new plugin, everything worked like a charm.
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
Jason
New to all this

Post by Jason »

Where is the plug-in located? I am having the same problem.

edit**

Ok found it. It now works for me but I had to delete the old mdimporter in Spotlight, install the new one and then go back into all my older files and save again so they become 2.1 files. Hardly an elegant solution - but it works

Regards
Last edited by Jason on Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kga1978
Read the guide!

Post by kga1978 »

I am using mellel 2.1.1 and spotlight plugin 1.6.5 on a G4 17" powerbook running the latest version of Tiger and it is not working correct. It works (sometimes) when I create a new file, but if I change the content of that file the spotlight index is not updated.

Say I create a new file and put in the word "test1", save the file, wait a bit and then do a spotlight search for "test1". Spotlight will now find the file. If I open the file and change the word to "test2" and do the a "test2" spotlight search, then the file will not be found. Waiting longer, restarting, etc. is not changing this. Furthermore if I do a spotlight search for "test1", then the file will still be found although it no longer contains that word....

No problems with Word or other text programs.

It really needs fixing - I rely completely on this feature....
kga1978
Read the guide!

Post by kga1978 »

/Library/Spotlight/

I have manually removed the old one and installed the new - but still not working....
Jason
New to all this

Post by Jason »

kga1978 wrote:I am using mellel 2.1.1 and spotlight plugin 1.6.5 on a G4 17" powerbook running the latest version of Tiger and it is not working correct. It works (sometimes) when I create a new file, but if I change the content of that file the spotlight index is not updated.

Say I create a new file and put in the word "test1", save the file, wait a bit and then do a spotlight search for "test1". Spotlight will now find the file. If I open the file and change the word to "test2" and do the a "test2" spotlight search, then the file will not be found. Waiting longer, restarting, etc. is not changing this. Furthermore if I do a spotlight search for "test1", then the file will still be found although it no longer contains that word....

No problems with Word or other text programs.

It really needs fixing - I rely completely on this feature....
Try what I did. Mellel is a cool program without doubt, but having to go to these lengths for the sake of a plug-in is not so good.
Jason
New to all this

Post by Jason »

It should work if you do as I did. Delete the old plugin, install the new one and then open each of your old files and just save each in turn. You should have spotlight doing full content searching then.

Good luck.
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Post by Eyal Redler »

The spotlight plug-in is still in beta. By definition, the beta is designed to test the product and report problems to the developers and not discuss the problems in the forum.
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW
kga1978
Read the guide!

Post by kga1978 »

Confirmed working the way Jason suggested ;)

Thanks very much - a bit of a messy work-around though.....
kga1978
Read the guide!

Post by kga1978 »

It doesn't say "beta"...
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

The file available for download seems to have the same version number as the beta. That's why I thought it was released to the public. Sorry :oops:
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
laup

Spotlight

Post by laup »

Jason wrote:It should work if you do as I did. Delete the old plugin, install the new one and then open each of your old files and just save each in turn. You should have spotlight doing full content searching then.

Good luck.
Spotlight appears to be partially working after I deleted the old plugin and reinstalled the new Spotlight plugin (freshly downloaded). If I use a word in the interior of a newly created file, Spotlight finds the rtf and pdf files that I created by exporting the Mellel document, but it still does not find the original Mellel file. In contrast, it does find the Mellel file of the draft manuscript from about a week ago.

I don't know Spotlight's process, so I suppose that it is possible that Spotlight has not yet searched the interior of the mellel document, but will do so later. It has been perhaps ten minutes or so, not hours. Still, it found the pdf and rtf versions right away.

I also ran MORU, pointing at the right folder and it did find the file.
Paul