feature request: Converting paragraph styles to autotitles

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

nicka
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by nicka »

This is what I use the replace style option for. There may be slight variations that really refer to one paragraph style, so in one document I mostly end up with one to 3 original styles that are converted into the same paragraph style. But it works excellent.
I think you must be a lot more patient than me, Maria. I mean, it seems to me that you are replacing paragraph styles just by looking at the rather cryptic information in the 'overrides' box in the replace styles dialogue. So you work out that a particular paragraph style (called something really informative like '[diamond]' Par. style (Left to Right)+5') is actually chapter titles because, say, it is centred and has 1.2 line spacing and a certain amount of space above and space below.
Have I got that right? Or am I missing a better way of replacing paragraph styles in imported rtfs?
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Maria wrote:
rpcameron wrote:...
To address the other concerns I offer up:
  1. Allow a function to have Replace Styles also work across Auto–Title elements.
  2. Allow customizable keyboard shortcuts (beyond the standard system–wide capacity) to allow us to easily enter Auto–Titles.
Thanks for the offer, this is exactly what I asked for. Now let us hope that the Redlers will offer this as well.

Glad we came up with an agreement :wink:

Maria
See, I knew it was merely an issue of finding a common means of explaining our desires. And just as we saw with the introduction of XML, I believe these points will be taken up by the Redlers and introduced into a future version. How far into the future it may be I cannot say, but I can say that I believe they will give them heavily consideration. (Just a guess, as I otherwise have no real way of knowing ... ;-)
— Robert Cameron
FA1

Post by FA1 »

Maria wrote: yes, I am replacing them according to the informations on the right. Like you, I do not understand the meaning of all of them (an in particular, some styles on the left have identical names and identical informations, so why are they listed twice?)

But it works. Maybe we should suggest a more user readable dialogue?
Some of this conversation is greek to me at this point, but regarding Replace Styles, wouldn't it make sense to have something like Word's "Style Area" in which it can show the style name in a margin to the left of the text? In Mellel's case, it could list whatever name would show up in Replace Styles, e.g. Par. style +5.
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

Two comments:

A. An ALL CAPS, better inline editing of auto-titles (e.g., changing styling in-line) and customisable keyboard shortcuts, are all on their way.

B. The gist of the suggestions here is that Mellel should be able to convert the content of an existing document (or do this when importing) and create auto-titles based on paragraph styles. That would require, of course, converting the whole paragraph into a "title", but I think that people should be able, as part of the process, to associate the converted Par. styles with an auto-title setup they want.
Ori Redler from RedleX
nicka

Post by nicka »

The gist of the suggestions here is that Mellel should be able to convert the content of an existing document (or do this when importing) and create auto-titles based on paragraph styles. That would require, of course, converting the whole paragraph into a "title"
That should be fine for almost every imported file, because that's how Word, rtf, HTML, OpenDocument and even TeX (I think) work, isn't it?

Of course it's excellent that Mellel has a less clunky implementatation of headings internally -- perfect for having headings at the start of body text paragraphs, for example -- but most other formats don't seem to allow this, so assuming that they don't on import should produce satisfactory results.

Or is there some problem I'm overlooking?