Feature request: Display non-breaking spaces

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

zoul
Knows everything, can prove it

Feature request: Display non-breaking spaces

Post by zoul »

Hello!

In some languages (Czech, for example) one uses non-breaking spaces quite frequently. Would it be possible to add the non-breaking space to the list of displayable invisible characters? It could be rendered as Unicode 0x02fd (modified letter shelf) or something similar.

And while I am writing about the invisible characters: When I display soft hyphens, the cursor does not jump correctly over them. Let’s say I have an invisible hyphen in the word “invisible”: in|visible. When I move the cursor right after the “in”, the cursor jumps *after* the hyphen and when I press the right arrow once again, the cursor stays after the hyphen. (Delete and Backspace work correctly, it’s just the displayed position of the cursor that is incorrect.) It’s not a big deal, it just makes deleting the hyphens harder.
nicka

Post by nicka »

I think the request here is to make non-breaking spaces display differently from ordinary spaces (when 'show spaces' is on) rather then as identical light blue dots, as they do currently.
In Word, for example, when 'show invisibles' is on, you see an ordinary space as a dot and a non-breaking space as a dot with a tilde (~) over it.
zoul

Post by zoul »

nicka wrote:I think the request here is to make non-breaking spaces display differently from ordinary spaces (when 'show spaces' is on) rather then as identical light blue dots, as they do currently.
Right. I want to see non-breaking spaces, I do not want to see ordinary spaces.
zoul

Post by zoul »

I have no trouble *inserting* non-breaking space (I use the Alt+Space system shortcut), I just want them to be rendered visible. I use them for example to tie numbers with their units (25 GHz) and sometimes I do not remember whether I have used the non-breaking space or not.
MonEsVil
Got the auto-title mojo working

Re: Feature request: Display non-breaking spaces

Post by MonEsVil »

I wish to insist in this old feature request. I think it is a very minor change, but I really miss this feature in the otherwise fantastic Mellel.

I think actually that it is quite astonishing that Mellel do not display differently ‘spaces’ and ‘non-breaking spaces‘ since virtually every other word processor do it.

You can see here how does it…

Microsoft Word (space left, non-breaking space right)

Apple Pages

OpenOffice.org Writer

I would really appreciate to see this feature implemented in Mellel, and I assume — although of course I can't know for sure — that it is not an Herculean task to accomplish. Thank you for your fantastic work.
MonEsVil
Got the auto-title mojo working

Re: Feature request: Display non-breaking spaces

Post by MonEsVil »

I shall rescue—again—this request after seven years (and thirteen(!) after the original one possed by zoul).

I have no technical knowledge to know how difficult this could really be, but it would be deeply appreciated if this change could be implemented.