Mellel 2.1.1: localisations, paste special, zoom, more

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

redlers
Site Admin

Mellel 2.1.1: localisations, paste special, zoom, more

Post by redlers »

Hi to all,

Mellel 2.1.1 is here, with some new features and especially localisations.

New features:
• Localised versions: This version supports 12 language versions, in addition to the English: Czech, Dutch, Esperanto, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Spanish.
• Paste Special: Paste options for paste as plain text, character attributes, paragraph attributes, and list attributes.
• Speedier Open and Save: Mellel will now open and save files much faster, especially with files containing many tables. File size was also reduced in the process.
• More zoom levels: There are now 21 zoom levels.
• Copy and Paste options: Added as sub-menus in the contextual menu.
• Bug fix full screen: Fixed a problem with document window filling the whole screen when opened, after being saved in full screen mode.
• Bug fix, spelling: Fixed a problem that caused "Spell as you type" to cease working sometimes with new documents.
• XML, improved: Added "encoding="UTF-8" to the XML declaration at the beginning of the file.
• Bug fix: Fixed a problem that caused "Rendering Document" panel to appear and get stuck on screen when performing undo after replace all.
• Bug fix: Fixed a problem that caused the font menu to appear empty after a replace that changes a font face to a face that is not supported by the current font.
ozean
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Mellel 2.1.1: localisations, paste special, zoom, more

Post by ozean »

redlers wrote:• Paste Special: Paste options for paste as plain text, character attributes, paragraph attributes, and list attributes.
Wonderful! Thanks!

One thing to quibble about though: Could you set a default keyboard shortcut for copy and paste plain text (apple+alt+c or v) – I tried to set a shortcut using OS X’s System Preferences Keyboard section, however, I can only create a shortcut for copy plain text, since both the copy plain text and the paste plain text menu entries are called "Plain Text". Thus I can not differentiate between the two and OS X defaults to using the first one (i.e. copy plain text) which is the one I need much less… :cry:

Nonetheless: wonderfully quick release that offers some very nice presents for all of us. Thanks! :)
Rory
Already downloaded the guide

Post by Rory »

I know I've been harping about zoom levels—I'll stop now. The new levels work perfectly.
Many thanks (as I try and wrap up a 150,000 word novel)
Rory
Without hope, a dream is a wretched curse that only fools endeavor.
aechallu

preferences reset?

Post by aechallu »

I got my preferences reset to the default behavior with the new 2.1.1 release (toolbar+ruler+empty window upon launch). I noticed the same with the 2.1 release. Does it have to do with my installation or with the way Mellel is released?

Nice release anyway.
BreakNeckRidge
Read the guide!

Re: Mellel 2.1.1: localisations, paste special, zoom, more

Post by BreakNeckRidge »

redlers wrote: • Paste Special: Paste options for paste as plain text, character attributes, paragraph attributes, and list attributes.
YES!!! Thank you!
jwilhelm
Got the styles thing figured out

Paste / Copy Plain Text

Post by jwilhelm »

Hi,
there seems to be some things still to be done in the Paste / Copy Plain Text functions. I mean, the names of each are not differing, both were "Plain Text" as far as i can remember.
I changed the names via Apple's Dev. Tools' "Interface Builder", however, there were also some inconsistencies in the Localizations.strings-file. After a few steps fixing them in English.lproj (and im my case German.lproj) it worked. Still, in the German "Edit" menu, there is still an English item (forgot which it was & too lazy to fix that). Also, some popup-messages are still in English.
Prost!
Joha
:-j
gke
Got the auto-title mojo working

Re: zoom levels

Post by gke »

Alas, the zoom level I had been hoping for, is not there - 140% - Times New Roman 12 on my iBook 14 inch looks too small in 128% and too large in 150% - what is there against allowing users to specify their own percentages, like in Word?
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

And what is the sense of extremely low (e.g. 10%) and extremely high (1600%) zoom levels? In which circumstances could one desire to use them?
matthias

Post by matthias »

While I appreciate the introduction of further zoom-levels, I agree with gke and Thimotheus that more flexibility in the area of 100% through 170% would make a lot of sense for those using portable Macs.

Matthias
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

And I miss two zoom levels that would be convenient to anybody, no matter what kind of Mac he / she is using: "window width" and "whole page".

Excellent is the implementation of the zoom feature in Papyrus, where one can choose any level one desires.

And I hope that one day we'll have a 'facing pages' option in Mellel too …
redlers
Site Admin

Post by redlers »

Thanks for all commenting... What good is a new feature without adding all the mini features to make it more complete :)
nilfisq
New to all this

Post by nilfisq »

according to the information at the mellel downloads page the zip archive of 2.1.1 is 9.7 MB. However, when you start the download it says 18 MB.
Once installed Mellel occupies 46,7 MB of space (versus 18,7 MB of the 2.1 version): how come mellel is more than twice as big now?
zoul

Post by zoul »

nilfisq wrote:how come mellel is more than twice as big now?
Localizations? If you do not use them, I guess you can delete them from the Mellel/Resources application package.
nilfisq
New to all this

Post by nilfisq »

indeed! so you can just delete all those unneccessary lproj files!
thanks.
spinningdoc
Read the guide, knows everything

localisations

Post by spinningdoc »

I'd love to, my hard disc space being at a premium just now. How do I do it?