Mellel 2.1.1: localisations, paste special, zoom, more

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

zoul
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by zoul »

Find Mellel in the Applications folder, do a right-click (or a Ctrl-click) and select Show package contents. The localized resources are in the Contents/Resources/*.lproj folders, so that you can trash those you do not need. It might be a good idea to backup the application before you do this, just in case… :)

And maybe Redlers could always provide one build with localizations and one without? I’m from Czech Republic, but I use the english interface anyway, and I think a lot of people do the same. Splitting the builds would save time and bandwidth. (My counted internet connection hurts me :)
spinningdoc
Read the guide, knows everything

lproj

Post by spinningdoc »

Done, successfully. Thanks.
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

You also could download the free application Monolingual to delete all unnecessary languages in one rush. This can free up some hundret MB on your harddisk. Monolingual also could delete one of the two binaries of an application (universal binary applications as Mellel contain one app for PPC Macs as G3, G4 and G5 and one application for Intel-Macs as the new CoreSolo, CoreDuo and Core2Duo Macs) If you own a PPC based Mac you could delete the Intel binary with Monolingual and the other way round.

You should read the README file inside the Monolingual package, as there are some things you have to bear in mind:

° do not delete the English language files, as most apps won’t run without them

° do not delete the language files of Adobe apps (especially Acrobat) as they won’t run afterwards (due to an built in integrity check that fails after some piece have been deleted). You could exclude the Adobe apps within Monolingual

Everything else should work fine.
Fire Angel
Read the guide!

Re: Mellel 2.1.1: localisations, paste special, zoom, more

Post by Fire Angel »

redlers wrote:• More zoom levels: There are now 21 zoom levels.
Yep, lots of zoom levels and most of them of no use. What I want, and what I think others wanted when they requested this be improved, is more zoom levels between 100% and 200%, and for that matter, why on Earth can't I just click on the number and then type the percentage I want? This is available in every other appplication I use that has a zoom facility, and should be present in Mellel.
Old Chinese proverb:

The man who does not make mistakes
usually does not make anything.
zoul

Post by zoul »

Why would you want to specify the zoom in numbers? Do you really care if the zoom is, say, 175 % or 180 %? I’m happy with the current implementation, I would be perfectly happy if it was additionaly possible to zoom to the page width and text width (= page without the margins).
joewiz

Post by joewiz »

zoul wrote:Why would you want to specify the zoom in numbers? Do you really care if the zoom is, say, 175 % or 180 %? I’m happy with the current implementation, I would be perfectly happy if it was additionaly possible to zoom to the page width and text width (= page without the margins).
I'd be very happy with zoom to 'full page' and 'page width', but I also think it should be possible to specify exact percentages. I think the question is: Why not?
Fire Angel
Read the guide!

Post by Fire Angel »

Precise zoom percentages make it possible to make your onscreeen work actual size on a wider range of monitors, and having a page exactly at the actual printed size is helpful in some design work. In addition being able to enlarge things as much as needed but no more than needed helps to balance work for people with poor eyesight who still want to see as much text as possible at once. I work with a lady who has very poor eyesight who uses but hates Word. She won't buy Mellel because it lacks this one feature. If 175% is a bigger size than needed, but 150% is too small to read, why can't she set it at 165% or 168%? In Word she can.

Other reasons for more precise zooms will no doubt come from other people, those are the two I am aware of at this moment.

I want to be able to set the exact zoom to make a page onscreen look exactly the same size it will be when printed. In the course of a month I could use a monitor that is the old standard of 72 DPI, another that is 76 DPI, one that runs at 96 DPI and my own at home is 100 DPI and gives me a 1600x1200 desktop. Each of these needs a different zoom level to see the work at actual printed size, and Mellel doesn't contain the percentages I want for any of those monitors.
Old Chinese proverb:

nvalvo
Read the guide, knows everything

Post by nvalvo »

Whoever it was who doubted the extreme zooms, I'll stand up for them. I use 1600% occasionally, to line things up.
andreas_c
New to all this

Post by andreas_c »

When will you release a Swedish version??
Fire Angel
Read the guide!

Post by Fire Angel »

nvalvo wrote:Whoever it was who doubted the extreme zooms, I'll stand up for them. I use 1600% occasionally, to line things up.
Well that's good news, they are some use to some people then. I still find it puzzling that we can't type in our own percentage; I repeat, of all the applications I use with a zooom facility, Mellel is the only one that doesn't let me do this.
Old Chinese proverb:

Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

andreas_c wrote:When will you release a Swedish version??
Soon, we hope.
Ori Redler from RedleX