2.0.8 document can't be saved

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Holger
New to all this

2.0.8 document can't be saved

Post by Holger »

Hi,

I'm using the 2.1.1 version (german localization) and opened various documents made with the 2.0.8 version. Most documents can be opened without problems, but one document can't neither be converted in the new format (shows an empty page) nor saved as a new document. It accepts a new document name in the file dialogue, but doesn't save anything. Any hints?

Thanks for your help
Holger
Holger
New to all this

Post by Holger »

OK, I solved it :-) I deleted various parts of the document to isolate a bad paragraph. In the end it was just a small list in a table that prevented the document from being saved. After I have deleted that passage and re-entered it, everthing worked fine. Strange, isn't it?

Holger
ozean
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by ozean »

It might be a good idea to send this document to the Redlers, so that they can fix this import issue in the next build.

:)
Holger
New to all this

Post by Holger »

You're right, that's worth a thought, but the file contains very private information; maybe I find a way to handle it.
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Post by Eyal Redler »

Holger wrote:You're right, that's worth a thought, but the file contains very private information; maybe I find a way to handle it.
If you can send it, it would really help us.
We will, of-course, keep any information confidential but you can do the following to avoid exposing anything private
1. Open the file using an older version of Mellel
2. Remove all text except the problem paragraph.
or
2. Do a few "replace all" to replace every a with z, b with x e with * (or whatever)

if you don't have access to the older version. Contact me privately and I'll give a link.
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW
Holger
New to all this

Post by Holger »

Sounds good :-) I will proceed as you proposed (I still have access to the older version) and send the file to you.

Holger
joewiz

Post by joewiz »

Eyal Redler wrote:We will, of-course, keep any information confidential but you can do the following to avoid exposing anything private
2. Do a few "replace all" to replace every a with z, b with x e with * (or whatever)
This would make a nice FindSet!
fitzgunnar
Already downloaded the guide

Save problem

Post by fitzgunnar »

I am having a similar problem: suddenly I cannot save any changes. Using 2.1.1, when I make changes in a document and try to save it, a copy of the file is created with a tilde (~) appended to the name. I assume that is meant to be a temporary file. However, the tilde file never disappears, and after a while a get a warning saying that the document has been saved under a new name (which does not contain the changes).

The system log shows the following:
2006-09-23 13:10:48.463 Mellel[784] *** -[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil value
2006-09-23 13:11:15.570 Mellel[784] CFLog (0): CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary.
2006-09-23 13:11:15.573 Mellel[784] CFLog (0): CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): The file name for this data might be (or it might not): /System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Resources/English.lproj/NSNavView.nib/keyedobjects.nib
2006-09-23 13:11:25.789 Mellel[784] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. exception: *** -[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil value
2006-09-23 13:11:47.836 Mellel[784] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. exception: *** -[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil value
2006-09-23 13:13:54.949 Mellel[784] *** -[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil value
2006-09-23 13:14:23.642 Mellel[784] *** -[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil value

I think this happened after the 2.1.1 upgrade, but I am not certain.

/MagnusG!
fitzgunnar

Save problem

Post by fitzgunnar »

I manage to reproduce the problem:
1. Start Mellel and create a new document.
2. Type som text on several lines (several paragraphs, to make a list)
3. Save the document.
4. Select some of the lines, and create a list.
5. Choose arabic digits for the list
6. Set the character variation to italic
7. Save the document

This results in a failed save (and a tilde appended file).

/MagnusG!
joewiz

Re: Save problem

Post by joewiz »

6. Set the character variation to italic
Do you mean to set this for the text, or the list style?
fitzgunnar

Post by fitzgunnar »

List style.

/MagnusG!
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

fitzgunnar wrote:I am having a similar problem: suddenly I cannot save any changes. Using 2.1.1, when I make changes in a document and try to save it, a copy of the file is created with a tilde (~) appended to the name. I assume that is meant to be a temporary file. However, the tilde file never disappears, and after a while a get a warning saying that the document has been saved under a new name (which does not contain the changes).
I had the same problem with Synk which I use for syncing my two macs. I was not able to save a file with Synk, instead a tilde was appended to the name. the reason was that there was no space left on the volume I wanted to save the document. after deleting some old backups on the volume everything worked again as expected.
Reiner
fitzgunnar

Post by fitzgunnar »

Reiner wrote:
fitzgunnar wrote:I am having a similar problem: suddenly I cannot save any changes. Using 2.1.1, when I make changes in a document and try to save it, a copy of the file is created with a tilde (~) appended to the name. I assume that is meant to be a temporary file. However, the tilde file never disappears, and after a while a get a warning saying that the document has been saved under a new name (which does not contain the changes).
I had the same problem with Synk which I use for syncing my two macs. I was not able to save a file with Synk, instead a tilde was appended to the name. the reason was that there was no space left on the volume I wanted to save the document. after deleting some old backups on the volume everything worked again as expected.
The problem only appears with italic lists. And I have seven gigabytes of free disk.

/MagnusG!