Should I ask this question in Bookends forum or here?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

kurisu
Got the styles thing figured out

Should I ask this question in Bookends forum or here?

Post by kurisu »

hi there,

i just realised when i scan the mellel doc with all the bookends references, they were all numbered in something like "This is weird (1)." rather than "This is weird [1]". i prefer the references no are within [] but did not know how to set it up. checked both BE and mellel. think it was [] by default in word.

cheers,
chris
joewiz
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Should I ask this question in Bookends forum or here?

Post by joewiz »

These types of options are set in the "Edit note attributes" dialog. Go to the Insert menu, and under Note, select "Edit note attributes." You'll find the () and [] options in the section "Reference symbol," under the drop down menu called "Format."
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

the suggestion seemed to work on manual footnote, how does that apply to the bookends generated reference list, though?

thanks in advance
chris
joewiz
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by joewiz »

kurisu wrote:the suggestion seemed to work on manual footnote, how does that apply to the bookends generated reference list, though?
If I follow you (and correct me if I'm not), when you refer to "bookends generated reference lists," you mean that you've created a Mellel document with citations from Bookends, and after executing the 'scan the document' command (via Edit > Bibliography > Scan the Document... or the Bibliography page > Scan the document), you're seeing note attributes other than the ones you set in the "Edit note attributes" dialog?

Here's how I'd begin to troubleshoot this:

Do you have more than one Style Set listed under the Style Set menu? If so, it's possible that Mellel is using one of the other Style Sets' note attributes on these citations from Bookends. To tell which one Mellel is using, go to Mellel > Preferences > Bibliography, and see which Style Set is selected (i.e. the pull-down listing next to 'Style Set'). If it's not the Style Set of your document containing the citations, change it to that. Now rescan, and give it a shot.
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

thanks very much. just found out it wasn't anything to do with mellel. what i did was to edit the citation option under the "format manager" in bookends and choose enclose citation with []. it must have changed the my previous default to () after the bookends update.

thanks very much for your suggestion and effort!~ :P

chris