page numbers on imported document

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

soliphint
Knows everything, can prove it

page numbers on imported document

Post by soliphint »

I have a fairly long, imported document that I have now set up with Outline, etc., but I cannot get it to take page numbers. Whenever I go into the Header or Footer, the options are greyed out, so I cannot choose any. Consequently, I cannot add page numbers.

Can someone tell me how to insert page numbers? Are there 'codes' that need to be deleted? Thank you.
donb

Post by donb »

1. Go to the first page of the document you want numbered.
2. Open the page palette, make sure "All pages" is selected.
3. If you want the page numbers to be in the footers, click "Show first page footer" and also "All/odd footer"
4. Make sure you have ticked "Start at 1" near the bottom of the palette.

Don Broadribb
soliphint

Post by soliphint »

Note my original post - when I click in the header or footer, I do not have the option of choosing anything. All the options are greyed out and 'dead.'
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

soliphint wrote:when I click in the header or footer, I do not have the option of choosing anything. All the options are greyed out and 'dead.'
That's the problem -- it can be a little confusing at first -- in Mellel you can only make changes to the control parameters of a footer/header from outside the footer/header.

Click somewhere in the body of the text.
Now, check the Page palette, you'll see all the options available.

Janet
soliphint

Post by soliphint »

Yes, I click in the page, and all options are available, so I choose the ones I want.

Then I go to the footer, click Insert, Page variables, page number, and it inserts a "1" on the first page, but no other numbers follow, even though I've chosen all pages, etc.